Grunt

Moderators: Jason8472, Casious

Merc

Post by Merc » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:54 pm

I had a couple of references but I kind of did my own thing with some of the mapping. Basically how I created the gun was- I made the main shell of it thru box modeling, cutting in edges and finally an applied meshsmooth. The parts that stick out were simple edited primitives that I attached to the main shell. After that I used UNWRAP UVW and since it was really just a box shape it was pretty quick. I took the map into photoshop, and started to paint. I've been painting texture maps for about 6 years now and have learned a lot. Basically you want many many layers. For instance its easy to start with a green base, then start adding weathering thru burn marks, making the edges scuffed and losing paint, put some stains on it everywhere, just dirty it up. Don't forget to mix maps too to get some variety on the base green. Layers my friend, it's all about the layers ;) Don't forget the clone tool as well. It is also important- if you want to shoot for realism or close to it, you need a decent bump map and spec map.

[ 22. August 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Merc ]

Swifty

Post by Swifty » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:30 am

Ahh I personally dont use box modeling on weapons. I use splines and vertex/plane, gives me greater control, also maybe cause I suck at box modeling [img]tongue.gif[/img] And thanks for the insight for the texture mapping. Most appericated it :D
Hey Merc are you intrested in Half-Life 2 by any chance ?

Seeing how I am about to model - Merc just wondering if you have a problem with MAX i have. Whenever I load a ref image as a background or on a plane, the image is blurred, making it very diffcult to model. Ive tried switching between Open GL, D3d and Software but nothing seems to change it. Do you know how to fix it?

[ 24. August 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Swifty ]

Return to “SAAB Homeworld Mod”