Something a littel fishy here?

Moderators: Jason8472, Casious

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:27 am

That would be partly because HLP is fairly familiar with the concept of free model sharing, so that those who need a leg up can get their work done. Helps gets mods done, you know, like the lot of you keep complaining about not being able to do.

Honestly, this whole thing has been handled incompentently by both sides from the start. DG fucked up, but he worked hard to redeem himself and fix his mistakes (and he is being earnest, not only was that the most repulsive show of online groveling I've ever seen but he's been moaning about what a bad boy he is in other forums too, and it's frankly gotten tiresome). You all fucked up from the start by not bothering to protect your stuff in the slightest (not even a passing sentence in a visible spot saying "please don't adapt our models or use them for non-game purposes without our permission", never mind something more effective like password-protected self-destructing archive files- this is the bleeding internet, not high-school art class, I'd frankly be surprised given the lackadaisical nature of the protections given that you don't have a dozen similar situations you just don't know about). Then you fucked up again by going and shitting on DG when he tried to apologize, flaming him via email, and so on. I mean, really, what's being nasty going to get you? All it takes is for him to stop caring about your interests, to decide that the bunch of you are just nasty possessive little shits who don't deserve anything, and he can just take the stuff with no retribution. You can't sue him, you can't hack him, you can't shut him down, the most aggressive action you can threaten him with is to shout at him more. Never mind that a little diplomacy would kind of be called for even if you did have another recourse- you did a good deal to help spur this situation along, it's up to you to at least make a partial effort to resolve it equitably for both parties. That doesn't even mean giving up total possession of the models, if you really want them so bad (which I don't understand too clearly anyway, given how you at least claim to want other mods and appear not to be obsessive about grabbing every strand of "fame" you can get, but that's another story), but it certainly means not dictating down on everyone from a high pulpit. Hell, tossing him a fucking bone wouldn't take more than an hour's work at most, would gain the goodwill of the HLP community (who could most certainly help you, given the mass and general lack of projects that are going anywhere, and would probably end the whole mess with half a dozen people jumping up to help DG make a new model, rather than pressuring him to just flip the lot of you the virtual bird (which is honestly where things are going to go if you keep it up, and if this continues I'll be encouraging him all the way). You see how many times DG apologized in that thread? He's practically humping your leg, he's more than willing to meet you well more than halfway- all you have to do is basically just give him a nod, a couple tips on making similar textures to your own (which are quite cool- I kinda wanna know too), and be on your way, and this'll end nicely for everyone. Or you can go on being jerks to the poor boy (funny as it is seeing him grovel), and we all know what'll happen.

And, honestly, it's a fucking model, one out of a gigantic TC fleet (on both sides) no less, not the end of the world. Were it just me I'd fudge the textures and cook up another model in ten minutes; were I you I'd just shrug, turn around, and make a yet better model in twenty, then tell DG he can't have that one. But that's me, and I like doing CG work.

And yes, most all my posts are this long and winding. Pity the poor HLPers.

[ 18. November 2003, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Coyote ]

Merc

Post by Merc » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:14 am

Yawn..... [img]redface.gif[/img]

[ 18. November 2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Merc ]

an0n

Post by an0n » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:09 pm

Originally posted by Black Wolf:
I wouldn't bet on it - that's an0n's server, and I very much doubt he'd pull it down. In fact, well, you'll see [img]smile.gif[/img]
Bah, you fool. You've spoiled the surprise.

Besides, Swooh is Stealth's server. So they'd need to go talk to him and....well, that'll teach 'em.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:45 pm

Originally posted by Coyote:
never mind something more effective like password-protected self-destructing archive files- this is the bleeding internet, not high-school art class
You have GOT to be kidding me. The idea here is for people to actually to be able to PLAY the frickin' mod.

Black Wolf

Post by Black Wolf » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:37 pm

Swooh leads to Geezersoft, which in turn leads to the current site.

By the way, I find this
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool
than to open it and confirm their belief."
Quite amusing in context.

Merc

Post by Merc » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm

What is the point in coming here and instigating things?

[ 18. November 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Merc ]

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:48 pm

Captain: Not at all. They're quite easy to set up so that people can't "steal" them except out of active malice. They're an extreme maximum of security, but pasting up a sentence asking people not to convert your shit is an extreme minimum. And it really all comes down to what you care more about- people being able to play an S:AAB game or your total control over an S:AAB game.

Merc: You mean like happened at our forum? Or like we were invited to here? Either way, "what's the point" is a rather good question, as it's really accomplishing nothing either way- I suspect the existence of free time needing to be filled by all parties, mostly.

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:50 pm

I sent nothing nasty to DG. I was to the point. Nothing less, nothing more.

The only incompetence here is on DG's part. This could have all been avoided with a simple, and I mean pretty simple, email asking for permission. Its not that I dont like the guy. I wish him well with his mod.

As for seeing SAAB Homeworld work in other's mods, I think it would be pretty cool, but, like i have said before, the models are not my creation.

Jeff, I did the same thing after I read Coyote's post! LOL.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool than to open it and confirm their belief."

Space: Above and Beyond: Homeworld

Krackers87

Post by Krackers87 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:57 am

*clears throat*

KISS

MY

ASS

Thank you

p.s. im converting your models. Im not DG so dont bother him. Ill give u credit. But since u have no disclaimer u can fuck off. O and dont bother messing my stuff to spite me. I dont care.

Merc

Post by Merc » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:47 am

*sigh* ....pathetic.

[ 19. November 2003, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Merc ]

Return to “SAAB Homeworld Mod”