some thoughts

Moderators: Jason8472, Casious

Tyr Fenrisulven

Post by Tyr Fenrisulven » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:01 am

it seems that you guys are taking a long time on this, and though i know the end result will be better for it, i'm kinda impatient, so i thought it'd offer some ideas...
the first is why not switch it over to cataclysm? i've heard that its not too hard to switch units and such over, and there would be fewer units to design as well (although problems like how the hell 2 hammerheads would combine into a stronger ship would definitely arise)
the other is, for gatherers, salvage craft, and repair corvettes, why not use issapcs? in the show at least, they used one to board that damaged chig bomber, so why not use them for that?
basically, consider them to be specialized issapcs (until you think of something you like better for each role)
multigun corvette, just slow it down and make it behave like a frigate in the shp files, and just call it an isscv or something. (iss combat vehicle)
repair corvettes, obviously would be issapcs with repair crews or something
another idea, i think you said you made a chig bomber in the corvette class so you could give it missiles... why not do that with the 127th hammerheads? hammerheads do have missiles normally, and it would give a better reason for making the 127th instead of the chigbusters

these are all just ideas, since i cant really contribute much of anything else to the cause [img]tongue.gif[/img]

i know you probably hate hearing this, but when's the next version due?
Arguing online is like playing in the special olympics. Sure, you might win, but you're still a retard.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:29 am

Well, I don't know where you heard that it's not hard to switch things from HW to Cataclysm, but it's not really true. :D And considering that you see three Cataclysm mods under my avatar to the left, you can take my word for that. ;) The actual process of converting a model is dead easy now that Delphy and Pesmontis have whipped their conversion code in HWSE into proper shape, but trying to squeeze ships into all those specialized Cataclysm slots is where the problem comes in. IMO, SAAB is better of in HW--or, if it's to be ported anywhere, perhaps to HW2 once everyone's had a look at that.

Also, there's really no way to make a corvette act like a frigate. No matter what you do, a corvette is always going to have that circling attack. (And I do mean "no matter what"--you can give it zero thrust to the left and right, and it will circle up and down. :rolleyes: Give it no thrust up and down, then, and it will STILL manage to circle to the left or right, albeit very slowly... ;) )

I do like the multiple APC idea, though... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:59 am

1. Cataclysm sucks. Personally, I think it was a slap in the face to Homeworld when it was released. I have my reasons and they are too long to list in this post. I take nothing away from peeps that are modding it, but I really just do not like the game.

*the 'Cataclysm sucks' remark was not aimed at you, Captain. I wish your mods well. I say this to the newbie because the SAAB team will never convert this mod to Cataclysm.*

2. If you read the shiplist at my website, there will be multiple ISS series ships in the corvette slots.

3. When you see the missiles coming out of corvettes compared to the destroyers and SCVN series ships, there is a notable difference. They just look too big coming out of the corvettes making them look silly. If there is a way to make 2 different sized missiles, then this is a good possibility.

4. Keep the suggestions coming, Tyr. We welcome all of them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool than to open it and confirm their belief."

Space: Above and Beyond: Homeworld

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:40 pm

There's the "dumbfire" missile workaround, Jason--for that matter, it works on fighters as well as corvettes... ;)

(and no offense taken on the Cataclysm remarks. Believe me, I have my days of saying "Cataclysm sucks" loudly and repeatedly, and usually with some extra words that aren't repeatable in polite company... :D )

[ 16. August 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:03 pm

Originally posted by Captain Pierce:

(and no offense taken on the Cataclysm remarks. Believe me, I have my days of saying "Cataclysm sucks" loudly and repeatedly, and usually with some extra words that aren't repeatable in polite company... :D )
LOL, Captn. I didnt want to give ya the wrong impression.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool than to open it and confirm their belief."

Space: Above and Beyond: Homeworld

Tyr Fenrisulven

Post by Tyr Fenrisulven » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:49 am

i wouldnt say cataclysm is really a slap in the face to homeworld fans... more like a kick in the pants. but by itself, without considering the orignal game, cataclysm isnt all that bad. the only reason i think it compares at all to original HW is the improved interface, like being able to select ships from the sensors view.
other than that, yeah i think it sucks in comparison too, mostly because they dumbed it down and made so many of the ships just generic. like the worker being able to do EVERYTHING (really hate that, actually)
that, and ship designs are pretty shitty compared to the original...
the only reason i suggested converting it is because it seems you guys are short on ship variety (having 3 different hammerheads that perform pretty much the same in combat, etc etc)

anyways
as for the ships moving up and down, or side to side even if you dont want them to... its not necessarily bad... besides, even the capships tend to strafe around a target when i play. (course that could be cuz i pretty much rely on them) besides, its not really bad if an isscv multigun corvette does strafing runs...

and sorry i didnt look too close at the shiplist before... glanced over it and saw all the "WIP"s... eyes sorta glazed over at that point [img]tongue.gif[/img]

thought about the relative sizes of the missiles and the hammerheads... yeah that would look pretty silly... though if there was a way to have different missile sizes it would be pretty cool to have...

oh, and if you are going to remove the beam weapons from the UEF, i recommend increasing missile damage so that they become a reasonable capshipkiller, and increasing fire rate, accuracy, or number of AA turrets on the big ships.

just read your reply to my other post, captain... are corvettes able to have turrets? if i'm not mistaken, the original multigun corvettes guns had at least some movement, so it might be possible to give a limited firing arc on the turret at the back of the model and on the forward firing gun as well... something like this i think could make ships like the 127th hammerheads more useful than the other fighters.

btw... yes i am a newb, and i know it, but its still not nice to say :rolleyes:

and please, please fix it so that hammerheads at least have a chance of outliving whatever capships they kill... losing half a fleet of hammerheads by destroying one capship (with minimal losses, i might add) is just nasty...

sorry for the rambling, but real life calls and i had to type real fast

Return to “SAAB Homeworld Mod”