Why HW1 and not HW2?

Moderators: Jason8472, Casious

TheVipersFang

Why HW1 and not HW2?

Post by TheVipersFang » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi peoples!
This mod looks excellent so far but I was wondering why you chose to make it for Homeworld 1? I do not mean to offend in any way. I just thought HW2 would be a superior platform and you are not limited to a certain number of ships in game unlike in HW1 where you need 1 new ship to replace the old ones to avoid a mixed mod. I have been involved in the testing for the Freespace Mod for HW2 and this is where I got to wondering why the SAAB mod is being made for the older game?

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:03 pm

Because the current version of the mod was made before HW2 was even released. ;)
The Artist Formerly Known as Captain Pierce

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Mon May 01, 2006 5:25 am

Good question, TVF. Pierce 2 summed it up in a nutshell, but we did speak, if it was only briefly, about making a HW2 mod. Considering how difficult it is to mod HW2, youll probably never see a S:AAB mod for it. Ide love to see this mod converted for HW2 though. If anyone would ever want to take a stab at it down the road, I would be totally available for reference materials. Seeing the Saratoga in HW2 would be priceless to me. :)
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool than to open it and confirm their belief."

Space: Above and Beyond: Homeworld

TheVipersFang

Next Question...

Post by TheVipersFang » Mon May 01, 2006 10:38 am

I understand your response perfectly :)

My next question is actually something that stemmed from an accident. I will explain...
When I installed your SAAB HW1 mod I forgot that had already installed the Babylon5 Civil War mod. believe it or not the SAAB units just over wrote the B5 units and it was a strange yet amusing thing to see a Hammerhead flying side by side with a Starfury.
My question is:
When is the next release of your mod due out?
What will you do to cover all the extra units in HW1?
I am guessing at a collection of ships based on and inspired by the ships in the SAAB series, correct? Cool mod units like the Toga make the original units look horrible.
If anyone cares to know I actually raised the topic of a SAAB HW2 mod with a couple of guys from other HW2 mods and they expressed some interest.

RAINGOD

Post by RAINGOD » Mon May 01, 2006 7:31 pm

You do realise that the last release of this mod was like in 2000, if not before that. This mod is dead, that why its forums were moved here. I would also like to see a HW2 mod, but i don't think it will happend.

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Tue May 02, 2006 2:12 am

Well, there has been some talk of some new ships... I doubt anybody here would bother with HW2, but a new HW1 version isn't beyond the realm of possibility, it would seem...

TheVipersFang

May I make a suggestion?

Post by TheVipersFang » Tue May 02, 2006 10:20 am

Continue to use the HW1 mod and just clean up the models. In some other mods where there is only a few ships available I have seen some people re-use the same ship model twice or more to fill all the required unit slots in the HW1 build menu.

For example the only fighter available for the Earth Forces is the Hammerhead so I say use the hammerhead to fill all the Fighter Class slots with slightly different squadron markings and maybe slightly different stats to reflect the strength or weakness of the squadron (127th Angry Angels will have more firepower but less speed to reflect McQueen's fighting style). Then use the ISSCV/ISSACP to fill the corvette slots, again differing the stats to reflect the role. As for the Frigate Class and Super Capital Class just use differing versions of the existing capital ships. This same theory can be applied to the Chigs. That way the mod gets finished fairly quickly and easily and when you play the AI or human opponent will only be using SAAB ships!

How many people are left in this mod? Is anyone actually working on anything? Please don't let this mod die!

Sheriden

Post by Sheriden » Tue May 02, 2006 5:47 pm

haha this mod died like 4 or 5 years ago

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:15 pm

Sheriden wrote:haha this mod died like 4 or 5 years ago
20 years old and still making petulant posts. Just one to ignore, people.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool than to open it and confirm their belief."

Space: Above and Beyond: Homeworld

bzb

Post by bzb » Thu May 04, 2006 12:11 am

Sheriden wrote:haha this mod died like 4 or 5 years ago
Mods dont die, they simply rest. I never saw this mod as being a quick job and it frustrated me years ago to the n'th degree that nothing was released for so long and nothing seemed to happen. Fact is that what was released wasnt rushed, i recall the simple issue of balance was key in this mods hay day and what more would you want.
Ships have always been 'easy' to put into the game but to provide a properly balanced mod has imho escaped a lot of HW mods and it would be nice to see one mod through to the original conclusion of its brief.

Return to “SAAB Homeworld Mod”