Space: Above and Beyond: Homeworld Web Site V5

Moderators: Jason8472, Casious

Rate the site: Worthy or Unworthy for a Classic HW Mod?

You may select 1 option

View results

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:31 am

Im going to go a step further than just list whats available to do for the mod. Im going to convert the main page of the web site into 4 catagories:

Main
News

About
Show
Mod
Site

Status
Finished
WIPs
Open

Contribute
How to contribute
List of what is available to do
Earth/Chig Design Philosophies

Might take me a little while, but I think it will be worth it. Ill report back when I have something for you to view.

@Pierce2
Im sad to hear that. I liked Dolph and felt he was a pretty good team leader. Regardless, that mod definitely deserves a web site.

DarkestVorlon

Post by DarkestVorlon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:13 pm

Good to see you back around Jason. SAAB is one of the few mods that I still play when I run original Homeworld. You wouldnt have any need for any custom fan made designs? I have a few that would probably fit in the SAAB universe.

bzb

Post by bzb » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:52 pm

satanbzb wrote:Nicely done :)

Got a banner youd like for in here-better late than never- seems a bit odd with the TGU banner.

Okay, so it wasnt big enough and blowing it up diddnt really work but on the plus side the Toga looks nice

Colour scheme ok? website link is a work in progress cos its not co-operating

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:30 am

@Darkest Vorlon
Ive updated the Main section of the site, so go there and see what is available under the Contribute section.

@satanbzb
Thanx for putting some of the missing forum pieces back together, but Ill be happy to make some newer stuff that doesnt look, well, like it does now. LOL. Might want to change the title text and Thread text to white too. Green isnt cutting it as I can barely see it. Ill make different buttons and a different header too. Just let me know the dimensions and I can whip them up tonite. The rest of the color scheme is perfect.

I know I said in the DVD thread that the DVDs didnt offer the quality I was looking for, but that wont deter me from making an extensive Show section for the site. I have some neat ideas Im going to try, so expect updates. Im hoping to have it finished before the summer begins.

Current finished additions since reopening:

1. Extended Main section, with News, About, Status, and Contribute sections.
2. Deleleted useless time bar to compact the site.
3. Added a few links: Space: Above and Beyond Bitter End, Homeworld Access, and Jeff Murcko's Online Portfolio.
4. Added a Forum link in the header.
5. Link to ModDB.com and set up a profile for the project there.

Another thing I want to add is a Homeworld Modding Tools pack with all the major modding tools all zipped up for one download, so a section devoted to this might be in the works too.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool than to open it and confirm their belief."

Space: Above and Beyond: Homeworld

23-Down

Post by 23-Down » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:04 pm

Nice that ur people are back, the same for the website..

i was a big fan from Saab, and a big fan of this mod here.

So you are back, means that u will continue your work on this mod for hw1 and finish it?

Or is this website just an archive? I've read about the status things etc but there stand nothing about any work in progress...

so i'm a little confused... u must understand that my english is really poor.. So i dont understand so much what i can read here. I'm really sorry for this Yoda language from me. :D

just gimme an easy answer...

1. Yep the mod came again to alive.

2. No the mod is for only dead, this website is just for remembering on this fantastic mod.

but by the way it's allways good to see old - new websites coming back for hw series. Keep up the good work dear admins and users. ;)

greetings 23-down

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:18 am

23 Down, what was your handle back then?

The site is here to stay since I basically own the domain its hosted on. The only way it will move is if I give the SAABHW site its own domain name.

As for the Project, well, I guess as long as I have the site, it will be ongoing with active and inactive states. Crook did say he might whip up a few ships, but without anyone to refine them so they act correctly in game and someone to take care of editing the textures.II file so there is no graphics corruption, there might never be any more releases. I havent received any replies from Spooky or Thursday regarding an email I sent out when I christened the site, so I dont know if they would like to try finishing the project. Having both of those gents aboard again would greatly increase the chance of more happening with the project.

Thats why I added the Contribute section of the site. You never know who might come up with the next big thing for a classic mod for an aging game. Im not going to just go asking people if they want to jump on the ship. If they would like to try doing aspects of the project, Ide gladly listen to what they have to say.

If nothing happens with the project proceeding, Ill still be happy I brought the site back to life.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool than to open it and confirm their belief."

23-Down

Post by 23-Down » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:26 pm

Hi! Thx for your fast answer... :)

i understand u and fully agreement with your stand..

but on another point.. It's a real shame with the tv serial...
and the same for the mod here.. Change it. You got the abilities and the website to bring this mod to new life... why u dont use it?

Listen i was a leader too for a big mod for four years. We released many things for this game (if u are interested which game: http://ofp.gamepark.cz/)

we released addons - missions and scripts etc...
the point what i want to explain you now is the following:

You must give your teammates orders. To do what they want isn't so good. For the beginning phase of a mod is that ok.. But ur team wasn't in the beginning phase anymore after version 1.0. A team need structure, leadership and even relationship. This keeps a mod, a team alive.

If you dont do that it's allready tolate... and this case we have here...
But maybe u are able to change that again...

I'm not really in knowledge what's happend to your old crew. For my mod it was so: We all had families or some of us lost the care in this game or had no more time etc. i'm sure your team hit a similar fate. But maybe the situation has changed presentday and they just forgot the mod. U should remember they on this mod.

now to my recommendation to bring this mod up again to life.

The reopening of the site was the first step.. now go on to the second step. Contact all your old team people again. if they don't answer as u sayed, they are possibly gone forever. Search in the relic forums for some help.. There are still many and more talented people. Ask for help. If the people see that u are back i'm sure they will help u and continue the work with u where your old members left. That means the old hardcore fans of your mod and hw. There really still many out there in relic. I saw the thread there some there can remember on the saab mod.

now all again in steppingstones:

In a good happy end for the mod.....

- U are the last survivor of this mod at the moment. And you still got much interest in this mod.
- the website is finished.
- regroup your team.
- try to contact your old teammates again maybe they will help and have the time and motivation.
- give your regrouped team constandly orders or they will disaggregated again, time here is unimportantly for builded things.
- give your team always a good feeling. you must to appreciate the hard work what they do.
- let they finished first the incomplete stuff, after they can continue to the unbuilded stuff like resource harvester, controler etc.
- release version 2.0 of the mod

in a bad ending for the mod...
- try to find new people which are willing to help u with the mod.
- don't let another mod die... it was allready died i know that, but now u one guy are back, so the whole mod is back and u are the last hope for one of the best and advanced mods which was ever created for hw1.

I hope so much that u understand what i tryed to explain u...
And please dont see it as an attack against u or your friends..
i tryed just to share my own experiences as a leader from another game -gamemod with u. And as i said we survived for 4 years. The breakdown for us was just of family and time problems and as i said some lost his interess in this game..

I hope imploringly that this what i said give u some new motivation to regroup your team and build this mod to an end. For your mod was awesome!

i hope for an answer by u. Hopefully i dont misunderstood you in your whole post and the mod is allready again alive. But i think i read it right, or?

greetings 23-down :)

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:39 pm

Jason8472

Got the image from the zip file you sent me in my page for my HW2 mod but can't get the link to work and I have e-mailed the owners to see whats up with the problem as my knowledge of html coding is almost non-existent!

:Max:
ImageNFS:MW NFS:U2 NFS:C Graaaagh! hellkom
"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle-station"- Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movie Star Wars Episode 6:Return of the Jedi!
"I was elected to lead not read!" by Pres.Schwarzenegger in The Simpsons :The movie!

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:58 am

maxdamage wrote:Jason8472

Got the image from the zip file you sent me in my page for my HW2 mod but can't get the link to work and I have e-mailed the owners to see whats up with the problem as my knowledge of html coding is almost non-existent!

:Max:
Then use the .jpg I included in the zip or just use a text link. Simple as that.

@23
As for your post, 23, I think you miss the point of the term 'team'. We did not have a leader. We all had our own parts to do. And its just a 'mod'. Nothing more, nothing less. Remember that the 3 core team modders, Crook, Thursday, and Spooky, also put a ton of time into their Great Wars mods for Homeworld. They all did a nice balancing act of making stuff for this mod and the Great Wars mods, but there is only so much time. Homeworld 2 came out and the Homeworld modding community basically migrated towards HW2 in hopes of modding it. Well, there are very few HW2 mods out there, much less completed ones.

I dont think anybody on the team 'lost interest' in the project. They just found other projects to try. Who knows, maybe Thursday or Spooky might be currently bored and want to try to take another crack at this project. Man, Ide love it if they were bored. LOL.

bzb

Post by bzb » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:57 am

I think the modability of HW2 diddnt do the commmunity much good, although coincidental technical problems here cant have exactly inspired people to carry on projects.
Homeworld is an old game, i dont think its worth modding it when the audience is the last remaining hard core fans. SAAB & B5 is also old, but that doesnt mean its a bad mod to make as you dont need to know the backround to recognise that you like a mod.
Id prefer it if the talented few would get back together and move to a newer game, i dont know the modability of games so im not going to suggest one. But i do keep thinking mod needed when i look at my copy of X2.

Games now are far more complex which would allow for a far better recreation of the sci-fi universe and all the 'i wish we could do''s rather than just the ships. Also poly limits are now excessive by Homeworld standards and more detailed and functioning models would be great.

I suppose we could kidnap them and force them to work at gun point, but i dont have a spare room to store hostages in......
Cheese is evil.

Return to “SAAB Homeworld Mod”