Earth Ship Sarajevo

STHW modding forum for Starfleet Command and Bridge Commander

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:23 pm

Yay, another hard-core TOS'er... [img]smile.gif[/img] Always nice to have more of those around, even if your sig is too big... ;)

The thing is, though, this is where things get tricky. The fact that Starfleet didn't exist prior to the founding of the Federation is something that we've all assumed for years, but I don't recall it ever being said on-screen. Furthermore, the existence of UESPA is even more suspect, as the name was only said once or twice in TOS--and it was used in place of "Starfleet" as the agency responsible for the Enterprise. So, while it would have been nice for Berman & Braga to throw us a bone by using UESPA, this is one thing that even I can't get too pissed at them for.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:04 pm

Originally posted by darkthunder:
Another feature in ENT they totally screwed up: Ships of this era belong to the "United Earth SPace Agency" or UESPA. Not Starfleet ;)
Just a little nitpick: According to the Valiant pic you posted, UESPA stands for United Earth Space Probe Agency.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:27 am

At this point in time its all moot what agency was what. Clearly in ENT the UESPA, or UESN doesnt exist. Its just "Starfleet" maybe they are all one in the same thing, who knows.. Let us hope that Coto manages to fix these errors without having to push the magic "reset" button. Im more interested in the "Ridgeless" klink story [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:28 am

There was an unmanned space probe called "Friendship One" in either Enterprise or Voyager, I forget which, that had UESPA markings on it if you looked close enough; which leads me to the question, maybe the United Earth Space Probe Agency only dealt with said unmanned probes? [img]smile.gif[/img]

IIRC, Berrnd added the UESPA markings to that Valiant pic, BTW, they weren't present on the original in the Chronology. And I posted that pic, not DarkThunder... ;)

Stress, the existence of Starfleet doesn't necessarily mean that UESPA never existed. It could, as I said before, just have been about unmanned probes; or it could have existed at some time prior to the formation of Starfleet (since we still don't know when that was). This "Friendship One" was launched in 2067, which seems a little early after First Contact for there to be a United Earth at all, let alone an official agency worrying about sending probes out, but whatcha gonna do... :rolleyes:

[ 19. January 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Pierce 2: The Sequel ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:06 am

oops, a little "misquote" on my part then. :rolleyes:

darkthunder

Post by darkthunder » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:37 am

Originally posted by Pierce 2: The Sequel:
There was an unmanned space probe called "Friendship One" in either Enterprise or Voyager, I forget which, that had UESPA markings on it if you looked close enough; which leads me to the question, maybe the United Earth Space Probe Agency only dealt with said unmanned probes? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thats another thing about ENT. Friendship One had the traditional "Starfleet" logo on its side, and similar markings to that of TNG era ships. Why doesnt NX-01 have such markings? I have never seen them at least.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:06 am

As far as i can see most if not all of the ENT era earth ships have no markings at all, except for the registrations. Friendship 1 was a voyager ep. It obviously isnt consistant with ENT, or vice versa. Wow, no surprise there, both shows notorious for their inconsistancy being inconsistant with each other :rolleyes: Way to go BnB.

Kinda funny how a probe that was a carbon copy of the phoenix, and barely broke warp 1 wound up in the delta quadrent. lemme guess.....wormhole.

[ 20. January 2005, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:17 pm

The "Starfleet delta" on Friendship 1 is a bit odd, but could be explained by saying that Enterprise's insignia during TOS (which became the insignia for all of Starfleet during the TMP era) was a tribute to the "old" UESPA insignia. ;) Ah, the tangled webs we have to weave to make sense of this stuff...

As for why NX-01 doesn't have similar markings... well, the obvious explanation would be that it's not part of UESPA. [img]smile.gif[/img] Again, considering that Friendship 1 predates NX-01 by nearly a century, there's plenty of time for things to change...

As for how F1 got to the Delta Quadrant... how did one of the Pioneers get to Klingon Space? How did Botany Bay get as far out into the galaxy as it did? How did another Warp 1 ship launched only years after Cochrane's Phoenix flight (the SS Valiant) get all the way to the edge of the gtalaxy?

More to the point, how did Voyager 6 get thrown across the Galaxy? A wormhole somewhere out in the boonies of our solar system. If it were an unstable wormhole of the type seen in TNG (where one end was fixed, but the other moved), perhaps (for example) Khan specifically set Botany Bay's course to enter it, in the hopes of getting much further away from Earth than he could have under sublight drive alone.

Now, that particular wormhole wouldn't explain Pioneer, F1, or the Valiant, but hell, it's Star Trek--there's lots of other technobabble we can use... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 20. January 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Pierce 2: The Sequel ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:33 am

How about a bored Q?

reapernoire

Post by reapernoire » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:16 am

Q was an ingenious character on the makers of ST part. Ever need something doing just go
'Q did it'
*picard gives knowing look to the directo...I mean view screen*
'Damn you Q'

[ 21. January 2005, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: reapernoire ]

Return to “BC, SFC, and Nexus modding”