IaW Federation Dreadnought gets a makeover

STHW modding forum for Starfleet Command and Bridge Commander

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Pierce 2: The Sequel

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:04 am

Time for a badly needed overhaul of the "Franz Joseph" fleet :D

This is the old IaW dreadnought with new engines and a soon to be complete new saucer. Other new details will be added as the model progress's. Thanks to Cap Pierce for sending me the "proper" Franz Joseph blueprints :D I've resized, and realigned the original secondary hull, and nacelle pylons in accordance to the FJ schematic (the original was done with a way inaccurate schematic from "shipschematics.net"). Other than that only very minor fix's to the mesh were needed.

This model will be in the Nexus AoW_TOS mod, and will also be an SFC2 download.

Excuse its appearence for now its in an early stage of refit. Its using its old textures for the time being. Im gonna make all new textures for her once ive finished refitting the mesh. Ive realigned the nacelle pylons removed the old poly hogging dish's and added the new connies nacelles. I expect her poly count to be lower than the old model.

[ 11. April 2005, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]
How can you alter one side of a bargain? baltar
When there is no "other" side...You missed the whole point of the war. The Imperious Leader

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:57 pm

Looking good so far. [img]smile.gif[/img]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:45 am

More progress..

Foundation textures are applied. The mesh is all but complete, just have to add all the new texture details for a proper FJ dreaddy :D

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Looking cool, though saucers look...wrong...without the bridge module.

;)

Seriously, it looks really good.
Lord Vorkosigan <i>does not</i> always get what he wants!

Let's be about it.

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:44 am

This is a dreadnought, dammit! It's got the bridge in a sensible location! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:44 am

When Franz Joseph did the blueprint he envisioned this ship to be the federations "battleship". So he placed the bridge within the saucer under heavy armour insted of having it external on a vulnerable superstructure. Much like how the DS-9 Defiant is. The Federation Class was only to be used during times of war. It had very little in terms of science equipment being as it was a "Warship". They remained mothballed at starbase's until a time that thier service was needed came. These ships were extremely expensive resource, and manpower wise to be on active duty all the time. Refits for these ships often came at a much slower pace than the Cruiser, and Explorer ships...if at all. The Federation greatly underestimated the strength of the Klingons, and Romulan ships. They payed a heavy price for this docterine.

Bear with me, my story telling leaves much to be desired..

In what would have been the events of the Homeworld mod Innocence, and Wrath: The story of the "Usurper Wars". A Klingon civil war that turned into a combined attemt by the Klingons, and Romulans to conquer the Federation once and for all. The war was fought deep inside Federation space, The combined fleets smashed through the boarder outpost, and managed to destroy several key starbase's before the Federation could effectively strike back. The Klingon stratagy was to drive straight to sol system, Destroy starfleet headquarters, then with the central organization in chaos subjugating the remaining worlds would be easy. The Klingons had a slight problem...They were also fighting a civil war. The spark that ignited this civil war was Kodan, the 1st "fusion" to become chancellor of the Klingon Empire. During the TOS era "Fusions" (the smoothies we all know and love) were as common among the empire as the "Imperial" (ridged) Klingons. They held all positions, and had the same status, and honor as thier ridged bretheren. To each other they were all Klingons. While there was some predjuduce between them, it rarely surfaced especially in battle....untill now.

Chancellor Kodan in his newfound status became mad with visions of conquest, or he was mad from day one. In any case he managed to secure allegence's from many "unreputable glory seeking" houses within the empire, and with a shaky alliance with the Romulans. He began to invite thier Romulan allies representatives to Imperial councel meetings. This didnt go over too well with some of the greater houses. Mainly Kor, Kang, and Koloth. Kodan collaberated with the Romulans to assist in building a new warship using both thier races technologys. Then ordered the border fleets to start harrassing federation outpost's. With many houses on his side, The Romulans in his pocket, once construction was finished on the "Ultimate Doom" Kodan proclaimed himself "Emporer"... many "Honerable" Klingons both fusion, and imperial tolorated Kodans ambitions, but claiming the Throne of Khaless was considered by many totally disgracefull, and an outrage. The breaking point was the invasion of the Federation. Most Klingons see no honor in senseless slaughter. Kodan himself aboard his hybrid flagship destoyed the civilian K-7 station, and bombarded Shermans Planet with Romulan plasma torpedoes, Wipeing out all life, and turning the once agricultual world into an airless sea of glass. He also destroyed fleeing civilian refugee ships that were unfortunate enough to be in his path. To Kodan, and his fleet ALL Federation sentients both military, and civilian were considered a target. This was the point that Kor Kang and Koloth took action against the "Usurper" While they were fusions themselves they found the idea of a fusion usurping Khaless's throne intolorable, as well as the honorless wanton death, and destruction wroght by his, and the romulan invasion of the federation as did many "imperial" klinks. Thier fleets fought against the Userper's, and the Federation's hastly assembled fleets struck back. Kodan was now fighting a 2 prong assault. To his front a desparate Federation fleet. At his flanks a very angry mob of his own people Led by Kor, Kang, and Koloth. Kodans Romulan allies eventually abandoned him when they saw that things werent going too well. Knowing that defeat was inevitable, the mad Usurper pressed on his attack of the Federation, and eventually his flagship, and what was left of his fleet made it to Sol. The Federation would have lost the war if not for the actions of Kor, Kang, and Koloth. Thier Imperial Fleet wrought havoc with Kodans Invasion force from the rear severely weakening them. While the Federation Fleets were tearing at them from the front. The Flagship "Ultimate Doom" was the only ship that was able to break through the Federations lines. Useing her many heavy disruptors, and Romulan plasma torpedoes she cut through the federation ranks like a knife through butter. but when she entered Sol system she didnt expect to find a Federation Flagship that was equal in power to hers. Or a fleet of Imperial Klingon warships. The Imperial Klingon fleets joined up, and fought alongside the Federation Flagships task force at Sol where they finally defeated Kodan, and destroyed his flagship.

The Federation Class Dreadnoughts's did not fair too well in this war. Many were rushed out of mothball, partially refitted if time permitted, hastily made spaceworthy. Then sent to the front lines to do battle. Needless to say the "mothballed warfleet" strategy backfired. Starfleet later abandoned the mothballed reserve battlefleet idea because of the heavy losses to these ships. During the course of the war the Dreadnoughts in the fleet were all but decimated. Many were launched with much older equipment, weapons, and power systems, than the Heavy Cruisers. They became easily outclassed by thier Klingon, and Romulan counterparts who constantly refitted thier warships. Sometimes they were outclassed by Romulan KD-7R cruisers in a 1 on 1 fight. In major fleet engagements they couldn't do much more than assist as fire support platforms while the crusers and destroyers punched through. Starfleet after the war decommisioned the few surviving Federation class's, and re-thought thier entire wartime fleet organization.

These ships spent 99% of thier service life docked at a starbase, and were rarely refitted. Starfleet put its refit prioritys on ships that were only on active duty. Im gonna represent this on the model by using 1st pilot nacelles, and impulse engines, and texture details.

[ 27. April 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:37 am

I'm going to bring up two things that I know you don't even care about, and prove that by even knowing why you don't care about them. [img]tongue.gif[/img] But this is what I do... :D

1. You don't care about this because IAW was always about TOS and nothing but TOS, but the last attack on Earth prior to the Breen attack during the Dominion War was during the Earth/Romulan War--this was explicitly stated in a DS9 ep.

2. And you don't care about this because the entire registry system is completely horked anyway, but the registries of the Federation class really don't support the idea that they're as old as the Constitutions and have been spacedock queens all this time. Also, I have to say that I don't really like the way you're having them get their asses kicked all over the quadrant... ;)

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:43 am

Originally posted by Pierce 2: The Sequel:
This is a dreadnought, dammit! It's got the bridge in a sensible location! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Despite the fact that it's sensible (we have warp drive, transporters, and aliens in this 'verse, why does it have to be sensible!? [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), it doesn't make it look any less wrong aesthetically. ;)

I don't care, I just wanna give you a rough time. And try to get some verve into this place; it's been dead for waaaaay too long. :(

Let's be about it.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:30 am

Your right...I dont care about any of that stuff [img]tongue.gif[/img]

In the events of IaW, We were basicly making it all up as we went along to fit the HW storyline. While trying to make it sound as "canon" as possible..which is impossible because it was a total non-canon fiction from the time between "turnabout intruder" to ST:TMP.

FYI the Federation Class in its original configuration in SFB/SFC was indeed outclassed by damn near every other race in those games which are the ONLY source of her in action. Only though heavy upgrades did she fair equal to, or better than the Klinks, and other races, but NEVER was she any better than the Romulan Condor (1 plasma R, 2 plasma G's, a few type F's plus a cloak makes short work of damn near any dreaddy). FJ didnt really elaborate on how well she preformed, it is just assumed shes 30% more powerfull than a connie. It was SFB that started including these uber dreadnoughts of the klinks and rommies.

But all that is beside the point... Ok, let us assume they totally screwed the pooch on the reg numbers (which they have on many occasion). No one said the Federation Class's HAD to have a reg in the NCC 2100's it is very possible that theres a dreaddy in the 19 18 17 or below if we use the lot number theory. I dont buy that the 1700's were all constitution class's anymore otherwise there wouldnt be a 1017, or a 9something, or a 1364, and a few in the 1600 range. in that respect they really screwed up if they want us to belive that 1700 was the class ship. Im all but totally convinced the reg number is a construction lot number like modern naval vessels are (example: Kitty hawk cv-63, Constellation cv-64, Enterprise: different class cvn-65, john kennedy: different class cv-66 Nimitz: different class cvn-68 etc etc). It still doesnt make sense to me that the class ship for the connie is 1700, and 5 sister ships are 1000+ below that. So IMO its reasonable to assume there were at least some dreaddys that were 1600's 1700's 1800's etc. If we go by how screwed the connie numbers are. Pointless debate time :D

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:05 pm

Actually, the only ship (IIRC) below 1700 that we canonically know to be a "constitution" was the constellation, and people have argued that there were enough differences to make her a different class. Me, I prefer to pretend that the registry really was 1717, and the robot painting the ship screwed up. ;) There's some justification for that in the turbolift scene in TFF. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Everything looks good so far though. Don't take any criticisms of mine seriously; if I'm serious, I'll make it obvious. ;)

Let's be about it.

Return to “BC, SFC, and Nexus modding”