SFC Romulan Hlai-class Warbird WIP

STHW modding forum for Starfleet Command and Bridge Commander

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:42 am

I finally got around to hardpointing the Hlai Refit, so here's some preview shots of it in-game:

If I can track down Stress to brk it (and the original), we might have some new releases here... ;)
The Artist Formerly Known as Captain Pierce

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:04 pm

Which ship in SFC romulan side can it replace?

maxdamage.
ImageNFS:MW NFS:U2 NFS:C Graaaagh! hellkom
"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle-station"- Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movie Star Wars Episode 6:Return of the Jedi!
"I was elected to lead not read!" by Pres.Schwarzenegger in The Simpsons :The movie!

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:35 pm

It's designed to replace the Condor, as befits its heritage as IAW's Condor replacement... :)

Don't know that it'll be compatible with SFC1, mind... it's got illumination maps...

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:32 am

It was intended to be an alternative to the SFB condor styled drone frigate in IaW. In other words the drone frigate was an SFB condor dreadnought. We wanted something just a "little" different. So we got together and thought of minor things we could change about the original SFB ship, Including what its role in the big picture it should be. It is belived that the rommies ferried thier smaller sublight fighters, and low warp speed warbird class's using a much larger high warp (5+) capable ship. The Hlai was intended to be the 1st of these carriers....AKA Swarm motherships. The older version was made long before the klingon alliance, and was not armed very well.. its wings of Ne'irrh fighters more than made up for that weakness. After the alliance an additional command boom structure was added. This was influenced by the Klingons having command booms separate from the rest of the crews of their ships, The Romulans adopted that philosophy. It suites them well. Along with boom, Advanced warp drive, and some of the best plasma weaponry the romulans could muster was added. Thus making her a true dreadnought to galactic standards. She still retains wings of Upgraded Ne'irrh fighters, but not as many as the pre alliance version. All historical battles in SFB using a "condor" is in fact using a Hlai. SSD, and HP's for the post alliance Hlai are SFB condor with exception of the hanger.
How can you alter one side of a bargain? baltar
When there is no "other" side...You missed the whole point of the war. The Imperious Leader

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:17 am

TheStressPuppy wrote:We wanted something just a "little" different.
In other words, we wanted something that didn't look like crap. :D No disrespect intended to the original moddeler (whoever that may even be at this point :) ), who did the best job possible given the poly limitations--the problem is with the original SFB design. Honestly, even in a game like SFC2, where the polies don't really matter, it's hard to make a good-looking Condor because the design itself is so awful. About the best I've ever seen is DestyNova's, but the design itself still just does nothing for me...

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:16 am

Admittedly i liked the original condor design....from the top down view via the SSD's. The only ship views you had in the original Starfleet battles board game were top down views....then came the 3d minatures, and the cover art for the expantion packs. All astetic (and artistic) value dissapeared right then, and there. With the exception of some certain federation, klingon, and romulan ships, all the other ship designs are total crap IMO. What i planned on doing was taking these awfull designs, and asking "What can we do to make this ship LOOK better?" without straying too far from the original concept.
How can you alter one side of a bargain? baltar
When there is no "other" side...You missed the whole point of the war. The Imperious Leader

Return to “BC, SFC, and Nexus modding”