[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - Talyn update

Talyn update

The only MOD to bring the fantastic Farscape universe to the best ever space RTS

Moderators: Supernova, Meurig

Postby Meurig » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:15 pm

Talyn is now being textured, and the final bits of veins are being done, heres the current progress.

Meurig

Postby Skeeter » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:25 pm

Well smart there [img]smile.gif[/img]

Top work there Meurig.

Tell me which method did u use to get the detail?
Skeeter

Postby Meurig » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:49 pm

The veins are tubes wound around the hull, short of that the model is fairly simple really. Without good textures it will look pretty lame too.
Meurig

Postby Skeeter » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:44 pm

Ah, i thought they may have been good bump maps or perhaps specially booleon'ed on tubes which were welded onto the hull somehow.

Never-the-less good model and i like the dark red and black main hull texture. And im figuring the vains are just textured simply with a procedural with 2 colours, some gloss and spectualr highlights?

The grey on the arms i supose could do with a procedural abit like the vains and then rendered for a texture. But which ever way i like the model and textures and can't wait for the arms to be done more, especially the grey areas.
Skeeter

Postby Meurig » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:47 pm

A bump map would never look that realistic, never ever. Which is why I made them in the first place. Boolean would work as you say, but it would make the mesh incredibly messy which is bad modelling practise.
And the arms arent textured at all, theyre just coloured red and grey. As is the bottom, only the top of the body is textured yet.
Meurig

Postby Darth1o9 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:03 pm

does look pretty cool, hope you pull of the veins right.

Visit the Galactic Conquest online Website <a href="http://www.curseuppl.com/" target="_blank">here</a>
Darth1o9

Postby Skeeter » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:50 pm

I usually do booleons which arn't too messy by making a copy of the mesh im putting things on into a new layer and then booleon on by unify i think or maybe add (cant remember off top of my head here) and then it adds the detail then u simply select the details by removing the mesh u used a copy from. Then u simply select the remaing polys (the detail) and either use in a layer or paste onto the model and it should fit perfectly as long as u didn't move it before. Then there is ur booleon'ed detail but no mesh problems on main model part.

If u sorta see where im going with this, im having a lazy day lol thats why im all over the place grammer wise.

[size="1"][ 13. April 2004, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Skeeter ][/size]
Skeeter

Postby Meurig » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:58 pm

Yes, that works, but it creates four new problems

1) The vein is horribly mangled because of the boolean.
2) The vein doesnt intersect with the hull properly, so you will get smoothing errors.
3) You are going to have hell trying to UV it for texturing.
4) It wastes a lot of polys.
Meurig

Postby Skeeter » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:01 pm

Nm then, probably not good for what u want anyway, it just works for me with some things thats all.
Skeeter

Postby Meurig » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:52 pm

Updatey-o!

I have done the outer wing texture, the inside one isnt done yet, it will have a few small alterations for the bit where the arm meets the wing so it looks more natural a connection, they share the same tex at the moment so I could just set two UV's up at once ;)

Now then.... to-do : inner wing tex, arm tex, underbody tex, underbody veining, gun + gun tex, gun animation, starburst... Supernova says he will set up the Starburst effect, effects aren't my speciality, come to think of it I'm downright terrible at them [img]tongue.gif[/img] But thats what teamwork is for! :D

Edit - I know about the stretching on the wings, thats OK, just need to alter the UV a little [img]smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ 13. April 2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Meurig47 ][/size]
Meurig

Next

Return to Farscape Mod