[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - This is ridiculous

This is ridiculous

Online Play By Mail Campaign using VGA Planets Code

Moderators: SL EmperorHonvik, reapernoire

Postby reapernoire » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:57 pm

the 14th was the deadline. I extended it to the 15th because two had sent their turns in.

its sunday, three days after the original deadline and I still only have 3 of your turns.
Do people not want to play anymore?
I'm not running turn till everyone has posted on here
There has been a steady decline in the number of turns being handed in over the last 10 turns at first I've just been running regardless to keep the deadlines. But now its jsut getting bloody disheartening, I havent had afull set of turns in for quite a while
And we're on the end stage of this campaign, I thought people might push out abit with it being the end, you dont get any points or win anything for turtling, that was the whole point of the new scoring system me and grum thought about, its why we hada turn limited campaign

Whats going on?

[size="1"][ 17. October 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: reapernoire ][/size]
Only in Death Does Duty end
-Gaunts Ghosts-
reapernoire

Postby CurseUppl » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:24 pm

Ok, for me, this camp is to fast. I like slow and steady turns with a little action over time and then suddenly a massive galactic war breaking out.
Really its suppose to be micro managing and empire building, not just battles and battles should come later on. I would do the turns but i feel people need to dedicate themselves 10 minutes a day to do these turns.

I am prepared to do it and i sure as hell will do it if everyone can do it.

Also if there is a new camp, then the first few turns if not 10 to 15 should be one turn a day.
Im in highschool, i got more work than you, 3 projects going on and homework. I am the one who should be whining here and i still manage 5 minutes. Drennar and Grum i think, you peeps are going to tell me that 5 minutes is what sets the difference between having your work complete and not?

What i think we need is a long campaign where everyone hands in their turns and we cannot achieve that if we dont send in our turns and its once we ahve done that step that battles will happen cuz then there arnt any delayes and no-one is sick with ebola, has a mountain of work, exams next day ect.

So, firstly we plan the next camp, seriously, not taking one day to slap something on the boards. Need something big that will keep players interested.

Ok so what kept players interested in the first second and half the third camp?
Well, the money, the colonists, the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE fleets, the stalemates, the small skirmishes to piss Slarti or Slim off and get them to do some smacktalk on the boards. The dedication to put a turn post on each day or 2 with SOMETHING on it whether its an image, a message or a report. Also people should be allowed to be the races they want to be.

Ok so my 5 cents, i think i covered everything
PS this is not a flame, just a whine ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
CurseUppl

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:24 pm

Hutt leader, Standing by...

Oh and turn done and handed in. :D
"Late as in the Late DentArthurDent, It's a sort of a threat, you see. I've been told they can be very effective."
Slartibartfast

Postby reapernoire » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Curse few issues with your post. first off yes your in highschool, doesnt mean you have more work, plus the ones of us who are at work have to deal with odd-balls thrown up by work, problems that require our attention, others sick so we have to cover etc, you dont have more work you have a different kind of work, when i leave my job at the end of a shift as much as i'd like it, my work doesnt finish.

Second off, you've not even handed in your turn so i sail to see your comments about others and about it only takes ten minutes, rather than havin a go about it set the example.

Last campaign was open ended, no rules, no objectives, no deadline. What happened to it? it died.
We set deadlines, we set objectives, we set rules, we came up with a new scoring system. and now your telling me you want it back to the previous way that also failed.
Last campaign people sat on their arses and didnt do anything, there was alot of talk about people 'planning things' but that was going on forever. No one has epic battles in this game, everyone gets to a stalemate of 'I cant overpower him by a fairmargin so i'm not going to risk it'
You've asked for a stalemate, yet everyone and i mean everyone was moaning about the fact we were in stalemate last campaign.

I'm beginning to see why honvik lost interest in this game. Me and Grum put alot of thought into this campaign, we put so much in, it didnt all make the final cut, because people wanted the game to start.
We've already started work on the next campaign, but I'm seriously doubting what the point is, when i'm now being told that a thought out campaign isnt what is wanted, what is wanted is theold forumla we used which ended in a stalemate, which everyone moaned about
reapernoire

Postby SL EmperorHonvik » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:11 pm

Gaunt is correct the reason why every camp ends is it was open ended meaning it relied on players to get crackin but it never happened usually ended up with me doing it kinda tiresome.

Gaunt and Grums attack on this was good objectives with a story.
SL EmperorHonvik

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:07 pm

As one of the few who hasn't turtled in this game (Makes it more fun if you actually play!!!! guys!) and one who has currently got his turn in at the moment, I have to agree to a certain extent with Gaunt here. I know there was a lot of work went into setting up this game and can see why Gaunt is getting frustrated.

Personally I fail to see why everyone is just sitting there doing.... nothing! get those fleets jumped into UEA space and engage the enemy! I am almost the only one who has actively attacked the UEA in this game and have to admit that I hoped that when I kicked off the war I wouldn't find myself shouting charge then running at the enemy on my own!

For my two cents I feel that the fault is not the game or the campaign it is the way people are thinking. This is a 25 turn game. It always was a 25 turn game. that means ATTACK! I attacked. Grum retaliated. no one else even commented on it! before blaming the game or the hosts look at the way you are playing the game! You need to get the heads out of the sand people join in and make the game fun!
"Late as in the Late DentArthurDent, It's a sort of a threat, you see. I've been told they can be very effective."
Slartibartfast

Postby Osiris » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:45 pm

I like the idea of this setting, but imo 25 turns were too few. I would have preferred 50. I like to build up a fleet before engaging in battle. ONe ship alone won't make a big fight imo.
Osiris

Postby CurseUppl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:36 am

Funny Gaunt, it seems the GCO and EvR peeps managed to do turns each day, and thats alot more people with most at work, until Corran and Swor decided to have a battle.

Slarti, no-one with a brain is just going to send in their fleet like that, i was actually building mine up till i got lazy with my turns because i felt my cash and colonist growth was to slow. Then i realised that a 25 turn is stupid as nothing can be achieved in it. So Osiris is right.

I dont like the ideas of having preset bases ect. Should just be off the hook like in previous camps where the sotryline works itself over time.

Now lets reflect on previous camps:
So everyone managed to do a one turn a day, Gaunt, Slarti, Honvik ect and now cant handle it, change of job maybe?
I am fine with a 2 day turns, even 3 day turns, but not in the beginning, the beginning its not big deal to miss a turn, the beginning needs to be fast and spent on buiulding, expanding ect.
The previous camps had practivly infinite resources and fast colonists growth.

So if we relfect, we can come up with something unless someone has an idea which is uber good even though it wont be listened to and just ignored like most of the time.

And now comes to time of angry responses to the "5 minutes of my life means i get fired" bit :D
CurseUppl

Postby SL EmperorHonvik » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:33 am

EVR and GCO have a lot less things to worry about than VGA silly.
SL EmperorHonvik

Postby reapernoire » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:22 am

reapernoire

Next

Return to A Galaxy at War PBM