New Concept: Commodity Trade

Moderators: Darth1o9, Calavan, Dilber

Cracker Jack

Post by Cracker Jack » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:26 pm

OK heres an idea: Instead of just having SUPX (or equivalent) fill up with TPs and going from planet to planet, I think that a Commodity based trading system will add a new depth to traders. If you will permit an example:

I have 4 SUPXs at the planet Solace, and they load up with Medical Supplys, which are cheap at Solace, The traders then go to Gammor, where Medical Supplies will fetch a high price. The SUPXs are then loaded with personal shield generators (which are in great demmand at Solace) and head back. Repeat untill filthy rich.

Or simply: Think EV: Nova system, for those who have played it.

Comments? Questions? Flaming Trout?

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:29 pm

flaming trout [img]tongue.gif[/img]

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:58 am

i like the idea, but for a person who has 30 to 50 supx it would be hell

if you ask me, asteriods that get harvested arnt turned into vps, it turns into metals, minerals and contraband that can be sold

o and by the way, i also think that a SUPX shoulld take a turn to unload and then load, and then the 3 turns to get to the planet and then unload, thats 6 turns!!! :D

it should automaticly unload, then load and then move, all in the same turn, saves alot of hassle and memory for gms [img]tongue.gif[/img]

GM: is this SUPX suppose to unload or load or move??? hmmmmm *flips coin*

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:41 pm

Its a good idea, but wouldn't it require a lot of coding to get right?

I mean, you won't want the commodities staying the same price. A planet thats miles away from a battle without any shipyards isn't going to want any weapons, until the battle comes to it. Niether will it need medical supplies that much. However, building materials might be wanted, until the battle happens and etc etc etc.

Of course, some main planets would sell things at cheap prices, for example, Bespin would sell gas cheaply, Coruscant would buy luxury goods at good prices.

Kinda opens a whole new level to the game, setting up your own trading faction with no real home planet to speak of, but maybe employs other factions to protect the shipping.

I wouldn't see the point in it though if prices were to stay the same, might as well stick with TPs.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:24 pm

i want a new forum of trade, civilians going on holiday, income from tax (as such)

Big Hed

Post by Big Hed » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:35 am

sounds good to me if it gets me a higher income! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:14 pm

i dont want trade to be to much of a game winning idea, the only problem with this, is it will take alot of managing and alot of programing, i do have a few ideas for different trade systems, will have to write erm down at some point

slim31r

Post by slim31r » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:31 pm

Im down with trading goods if it isnt too much trouble to code.

Will have to get with rgreat on this and see how hard it would be to code in a trade system of some sort

rgreat

Post by rgreat » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:50 pm

Interesting idea... ;)
But prone to advantages/disadvantages for different players.

But if it is ok, we can try it...

Maybe some kind of industrial buildings (who consume/generate different goods) can make the things up.

[ 13. October 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: rgreat ]

Turgidson

Post by Turgidson » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:15 pm

The problem of commodity trade, if it's fully player-managed, is that the amount of time and attention required to make an efficient network is going to be much higher than what we currently have with our EvR trade.
And, if trade is an essential part of the economy, it means it will be more of a trader's game, than a strategy/management game.

And since it looks like most campaign setups have high numbers of planets, I'm not sure every faction will have its happy trade advisors (from what I've seen, it's quite rare to see every teamate doing his trade on his own AND efficiently, and, thus, the more complex trade is, the higher the nightmare of the guy who will inherit the trade coordination, especially if factions are not very small).

So, I'm more with Felth, and trying to make a concept of tax-based, fully automatic trade.

Return to “Galactic Conquest Discussion”