ITL.....

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Fri May 13, 2005 10:47 am

Some federation ships and some borg stuff

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Fri May 13, 2005 12:16 pm

Not to mention Klingons & Romulans... [img]smile.gif[/img] and I was trying to get some Remans, but it never worked out...

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Sun May 29, 2005 5:23 pm

Progress report: just reinstalled HWC and my last working version of the mod, and played my first game in months. 12 Sovereigns and 4 Prometheii... :D

Now, to review my last attempt at the shiplist, and try to implement it...

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Tue May 31, 2005 12:52 am

OK, here's what I've been doing today...

Zeelich recently made some new torpedo effects for his Star Wars: Invasion crossover mod, based on those in Nemesis, which I have imported to Cataclysm:

However, there's a problem:

This is the exact same shot as the other quantum shot, except I've rotated the camera. If I'd been able to position it just right, the torpedo would have disappeared completely.

I can't located my HW CD-key at the moment to test SWI and see if the same thing happens there--anybody know if it does? If not, what am I doing wrong? ;) If so, does anybody know any way to fix it? (SvK, where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu? :D )

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 am

Just FYI, the quantums were closer to the photorp launch effect instead of the photorp streaked effect; they didn't streak on their own.
Lord Vorkosigan <i>does not</i> always get what he wants!

Let's be about it.

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Tue May 31, 2005 2:19 pm

Try scaling the effects down as they look too big anyway. I've found if you stretch or enlarge an effect too much it does wierd things.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Tue May 31, 2005 5:44 pm

I don't think anything's wrong as such. If you take a look at any pulse weapon (disruptors and pulse phasers), you get the same result. That's just the way it's always been. The old torpedo effects though were meant to look the same from all angles, so they always face towards the camera.
When Zeelich made the new ones, they apparently had to have a trail, so they're flat like disruptors. The only way to solve it partially would be to combine the two styles, so that you get a glowing ball, always facing the screen and the trail like on the existing effect. Only problem is that it will look bad if not done right.

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Tue May 31, 2005 9:02 pm

Yeah, I see what you're saying. 2D effects in a 3D universe...

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:59 am

Actually, the disruptors, at the very least, don't do the same thing as Z's torpedoes--they're still 2D, but they seem to "rotate" with the camera. If I had any idea what the hell was going in the ETG folder, I could probably figure out a way to make the new torps do the same thing... ;) Again: SvK, where AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE you? :D

BTW, Manticore, while Z's quantums aren't exactly the ones from the movie, they're not bad:

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:24 pm

Funny, that doesn't look like the screencaps I have of the quantums post-launch.

They're more bloblike, instead of the "disruptor-torps", and have spikes coming out of the sides. The spikes, though, I'll grant you as lensflares. ;) If you do it that way, though, you can easily set it so that they always face the camera. Which, sadly, you can't do with the disruptatorps.

[ 01. June 2005, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Manticore ]
Lord Vorkosigan <i>does not</i> always get what he wants!

Let's be about it.

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”