Into the Light project relaunch

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:58 pm

That would be the one,i just call it the X out of habit.

80% of the time i remember the defiant firing "all" weapons in unison (with there respective types), but then ive not seen a ds9 ep in a while now. Oh well.

Type 11 was seen in Insurrection i think, it's a fair shade sleeker & longer then the Type 9.

About 4 if i remember right... judging by the size of the bay, but thats bit of a fine point to nick pic on

[ 26. August 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Cleron ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:47 pm

Yes, but as you should know by know, I'm all about the nitpicking... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The thing about the Defiant torpedoes is, in Cataclysm, they track. (Think energy cannon...) If one bullet is being used to represent two torpedoes, then they're going to track in perfect sync, which is going to look damned odd.

If the Type-11 is the Insurrection shuttle, will it even fit into the Intrepid shuttle bay? ;) Yeah, I know, the Delta Flyer doesn't either, but you'll notice that Intrepids aren't launching DF's either... [img]tongue.gif[/img] I don't see myself moving the Akira out of hive frigate, it's perfect (IMO anyway) for the role.

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:52 pm

Tracking torps is nice but i don't feel the Defiant needs more help in being uber, aside from that there's two trains of thought on the Q torps them selves. The first and from what i can tell the original was that the torp gave up a lot of mobilty a bit of range and speed to allow for the fitting of the Quantum detionation device (witch also need a small std anti-matter charge to get it going). The second thought is that there simply a better torp all round witch ive never liked (there's a 3rd.. read on). But the defiant was one of the first (if not the first) ship to have them so it's not impossible to believe that the ones mostly seen fired in DS9 are of the older varity (if you believe both are true witch quite a few people do, liner devlopment kinda thing) ... as such you could leave tracking out or make it very very subtile on the defiant effects. I know i won't swing ya on this hehe but ive gota try.

Type 11 is longer more than anything.

http://www.ditl.org/index.htm

Do a size chart on the scout, delta flyer 11 & 9 for a good idea.

Well the Akira dose not have 6 bays either it's between 2-4 i think... it's certinly larger but i wouldn't be surprised if the bay ends up being just as small as voyagers. Still it would not be hard to swap the ships around and fix the research to allow for dessy building sooner and hives later.

[ 27. August 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Cleron ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:42 pm

The Akira was designed as a through-deck carrier--the "shuttle bay" extends from those two doors in the back all the way to the three doors in the front cutout of the saucer. That's a wee bit larger than the Intrepid's "Shuttlebay 2..." ;)

You can't alter the degree of tracking in Cataclysm, it's either all or nothing. And as far as I'm concerned, torpedoes track, and that's final. :D Even if they weren't tracking, though, I don't think it would look quite right...

[ 27. August 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:07 am

It sure is, but that's not what's bothering me... im talking or was referring to the actual exterior size of the shuttle bays, in that sense im not sure if it is any better.

No you can alter the degree of tracking by changing the speed of the bullet, much over 3000 and it simply doesn't track, below 1200 and it'll chase a fighter half way to hell and back. I remember because i always forgot to alter my MVE ISD Heavy turbo cannons to be faster witch usually resulted in slow tracking turbo cannons (that could chase after fighters).... i was creamed every time by the Ai when it had that & i had fleets lol

[ 28. August 2004, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Cleron ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:16 am

Yeah, but 3000 m/s quantum torpedoes would look equally silly, wouldn't they? ;)

My problem with the Intrepid isn't with the size of the shuttlebay door (aside from the Delta Flyer problem, which was always a touch ridiculous), it was with the size of the bay itself... it's just not "logical" to think that six shuttles could be parked in the Intrepid... you don't NEED six swarmer launch points for the Hive Frigate, one will do you just fine if you don't mind waiting a bit for all 6 Swarmers to launch... [img]smile.gif[/img] In the case of the Akira, I equipped it with 3 launch points (one for each door) and 2 recovery points (ditto).

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:40 am

Not really cap, SOA uses torps (Fed photon-Q torps) from 2000 to 6000 with 3-4 the common, to be frank a 3000 torp is bloody slow on the screen, 6000 is getting fast. The Soa Defiant has Q torp speeds of 5000. So id have to say a "no" to that one. Now obviously your referring to my last post (i think), but if it comes between Speed & tracking ability id rather see the defiant have fast Q torps rather then ones that can track.. besides by 2500 (from memory) the tracking is quite poor.

Like i said cap just switch the slots and do a little research footwork and all will be fine... but i don't think a delta flyer (or scout) will fit even in an Akira launch bay. Launching happens quite fast it's more the retrieving that takes time, better off having 1 out and 2 in. Also it'll depend on what model you use cause im sure the one in SOA.95 only has two bays while i thought the real thing had like 4 ? arh well [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think ill leave it at that and let some others have there say, by now you surly have a pretty good idea of what's going where so it'd be a waste to keep arguing especially since we've gone from debating ship slots to the finer points of Trek techno fandome [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:54 pm

Since neither the Flyer nor the "Scout" is in contention for the Swarmer slot, whether or not they would fit through the Akira's shuttlebay doors is just a tad irrelevant. ;) The Type 9 seems to fit pretty well, so whatever we come up with for the Swarmer will be scaled accordingly.

korunks

Post by korunks » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:27 am

So umm anything happening here yet? These boards been kinda slow lately. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:44 pm

Yes, lots; thanks for asking [img]smile.gif[/img]

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”