Into the Light project relaunch

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Xiggy

Post by Xiggy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:07 am

I'm sure in DS9 timeframe no Renegade Nova's were built. They were just a testbed, correct. I'm basing this off the assumption of that ItL takes place 5-10 years after say Nemesis. I'm also assuming that SF tacticians know you can't have too many ships wailing on the Borg. Therefore, I'm under the assumption that the idea of a torpedo boat was resurrected to help with the fight of the Borg.

And I wasn't saying place the Type9 as Swamer. I'm saying that it would fit in the "scale" of the mod if directly applied to Cata's. I don't care whether or not you have a Type9 (Hey how about the Type10 Chaffee shuttle?).

Holotechnology isn't something too common. So I doubt Dougherty built it as a hobby. It didn't look like a SF design, but that doesn't matter. Again the whole thing of desperate fight against the Borg comes in. SF engineers found the design of Doughtery's holoship, and decided to use it to circumvent their basically self-imposed ban on Cloaking devices. It's not combat ready, it's simply there to spy and look like a big rock.

And in terms of the Steamrunner as Sentinel:

That seems like an ingame issue. It's too "big" to function correctly as Sentinel. It'd be like placing the Galaxy as a Recon. The behavior couldn't be modified to make it look real. With teh Renegade Nova, you'll have a smaller ship that is not manueverable spewing out torps.

I can already FEEL the flak coming in.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:47 am

I was originally thinking that ITL would be in about that timeframe... lately I've been bumping that back at least another 5-10 years just so all these non-canon ships we're going to have to invent have time to enter the fleet, though...

I have to say that I don't see why Starfleet would go back to the Defiant pathfinder when the Defiant has been proven to work, and even entered production.

IMO, it doesn't really matter how desperate Starfleet is, a ship designed as essentially a self-contained mobile holodeck, with holoprojectors that work only inside the mobile holodeck (which, as has been established, all the way back to "The Big Goodbye," for Pete's sake) is very important to Federation holodecks, wouldn't seem to be very adaptable to external holoprojectors. Again, we come back to the Danube's mission-specific modules, and similar modules that the Raven/Erewhon (since, in my private little universe, they're the same thing) could be presumed to have since it has certain similarities to the runabout.

The Steamrunner as Sentinel problem didn't have anything to do with size, I just didn't like the way it behaved in the slot. The way it behaved was, near as I could tell, exactly like the regular Sentinel, it just didn't seem to suit the Steamrunner as well as the Destroyer slot did. If the "renegade Nova" was the "pathfinder" for the Defiant, then I'm not going to like it in there any better, since the ONLY slot for the Defiant as far as I'm concerned--all the way back to the ORIGINAL build of Shadow's ITL four or five years ago--is ACV.

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:29 pm

Suggestions: Use Pulse phasers on small ships where you can to avoid the small ship-beam problem or double the size. Use the processor as a mobile command ship/flagship rather then a res unit, it's combat capable so USE IT (can dock repair & act as a res dock). Finally keep ships like the defiant speed closer to the larger ships, Fed impulse engines don't varie to much it's more the mobility.

Recon: Delta Flyer
Why: Gota be small and cheap so you can still use it as a scout, yet not totally worthless.

Aco: Defiant
Why: Fits the slot, less effect problems if the speed is kept blow 400-450. Don't make it uber either.

Mimic-MCV: What your heart desires, there "almost" worthless.

ACV: Streamrunner
Why: With a long circle range it will forfill your artillery ideas... although the Ecel would fit in there too.

Sent: ?? Streamrunner ?
Why: well it would fit pretty much the same hear as in the Acv slot & it's small enough i spose that way you could try to fit in the Saber, but ive never been a fan of that ship lol

Ramer: Worthless, can only have the laser cutter as a weapon and the position seams to be hard coded or something, no other weapon works, mad's can't be changed i believe. Not worth the effort.

MBF: Erratic and unstable, a new and unique design would be needed for this slot unless you want to see the Sov dance in space [img]tongue.gif[/img] Worthless slot with out extensive AI changes.

Hive: Intrepid
Why: You need a fodder/common combat ship and this is pretty much that ship (of the newer ships). Very prone to beam drift in the faster more agile slots & of all the fed ships in history this was one of the few with fighter production capabilitys lol.

Swarmer: Type 11 - Type 9
Why: Small yet effective enough (specially with pulse phaser hehe)

Processor: Galaxy - Galaxy X
Why: Slow ship not often see to "dance" like other fed ships but very strong and easily large enough to fit small Shuttles. Even if you use ships of Nova class size as workers you can make them come along side this ship and deposit that way. Docking & healing abilitys make this slot to important to simply waste.

Destroyer: Akira
Why: It's a strong ship but for it to be effective it needs to be able to lay down it's firepower, id like to see the torp launcher just above the deflector fire Q torps but heh im dreaming i think. Still with Photons capable of firing in all directions it's a mean ship.

Dread: Prometheus
Why: Next to the sov & Galaxy X she's the baddest chunk of ass the feds have, ive picked this slot because you can use the special repulse with it however id only put the pro in hear IF the Dread can be made to act like the dessy and point up or down. I believe ive seen it done before

Carrier: Only choice is the bailly

meh

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:33 pm

That's ship list is very reasonable IMO.
Someday, I'll own one of these biatches...:grinangel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xiggy

Post by Xiggy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:48 pm

I like Cleron's ideas, very badass (and unashamedly fanboyish [img]smile.gif[/img] ) shiplist.

@Cap'n. I should have clarified earlier: They didn't revive the Defiant pathfinder to fill the same role the Defiant. The Renegade Nova's design lends itself to be torpedo spammer. AFAIK the DS9TM says the originall Defiant was a torp spammer, and it just evolved into the artful dodger it is today.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:04 am

Well, I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to play the "are you freaking kidding me?!?" card again. The Defiant as Acolyte?!? Wow, how incredibly bad of an idea is that?!? Explain to me how you could possibly think that the Defiant could be made to work within the Acolyte slot's ridiculous weapon hard-coding... :rolleyes:

Random responses to your other points, C-- "Type 11 - Type 9" = Type 2. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Galaxy X?!? Cripes. Why would we need pulse phasers when we have microphotons?

Zeelich

Post by Zeelich » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:00 am

Microphotons! That's what I should do for the Delta Flyer in SW:I! [img]smile.gif[/img] The PulsePhaser never did look right on on that ship.

Thanks Cap. [img]smile.gif[/img]
"You WILL respect my authority!" - Eric Cartman

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:36 am

What, the missiles ? Jeezes that's not even a bump in the road compared to the issues that are facing ships like the Ramming Frig and MBF. Give them a short range, make them do no damage, make them invisible or small enough not to be seen or any number of other things. It's been a while but im pretty sure you can use more then just the 2 normal weapon & 2 missile slots, but even IF by some deed of the devil you can't then you can STILL put the defiant in there. 2 slots is enough for 4 pulse phaser and 2 Q torp launches by making the weapon effects to fit the firing position on the ship as is done on the current SOA version. The Aco may be a bit of a bi*ch to work with but it's nothing compared to some of the other ships your thinking of dealing with.

On your other points.

I was merely suggesting shuttles that will fit the Intrepid & that have a half decent weapon system.... for a shuttle.

The Galaxy X was developed during the Dom war so it's fair game. It's large but it would work just as well as the Galaxy in the slot & unlike many other ships it's very rare to see her point her nose up or down. Still if you don't care for the ship don't look at me i didn't draw her lolz she simply fits that role, if you could get the tilt working then you could put in any large ship you wanted like the sov.

Pulse Phasers on ships (small ones) that have beam weapons like the shuttles, Delta Flyer, Raider ETC, all ships that are simply to small and fast for proper beam effects to look worth a dime, anything over 700 & smaller then 50-60m will look sh*t.

Other wise im pleasantly surprised that this was all you felt strongly about.

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:26 pm

The Galaxy X was developed during the Dom war so it's fair game. It's large but it would work just as well as the Galaxy in the slot & unlike many other ships it's very rare to see her point her nose up or down.
It was...? Where is this in canon?

Or are you talking about the Venture-refit?

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:19 pm

One gun can be made into four pulse phasers with the proper ETG, yes... in fact, if you want four pulse phasers that fire exactly in unison, then it's the only way to go. However, one gun that fires two quantum torpedoes is going to look damned silly when that pair of torpedoes proceeds to fly in perfect formation... :rolleyes: The Defiant is not going to be the Acolyte. Case closed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I was just screwing with ya on the shuttle thing. [img]tongue.gif[/img] What's the Type 11, anyway?

I'm already using microphotons on the shuttle-sized ships, don't really see the advantage of pulse phasers.

Finally, if by "Galaxy X" you mean the "Venture refit," and I sincerely hope you do, didn't the Odyssey already have the extra model bits (left over from what's typically called the Galaxy X, the "All Good Things" Ent-D) on it that signify the Venture refit? The Odyssey was the first use of the Ent-D model after AGT, and I would think that the FX people wouldn't have pulled the extra bits off just to put them back on again...

Oh, and the ridiculous number of shuttles crashed during the course of Voyager notwithstanding, I don't see the Intrepid-class having hangar space for 6 shuttles.

[ 25. August 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”