ITL?

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Postby korunks » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:41 pm

Just Curious are you guys planning on releasing a version of that mod?
korunks

Postby Captain Pierce » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:19 pm

As usual, my answer is: eventually, yes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Still waiting on the release of certain upgraded models, for one thing. Also, I'm just starting to get the idea that I need to take a good long look at the shiplist.

So, don't look for it any time soon, but unless you see me post in here that I'm abandoning it, it will appear some day...
Captain Pierce

Postby star blazers fan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:52 pm

Hey captain, if you need star trek models for the borg or any star trek race, let me know, I have been putting together some personal mods for me, (cuz I don't know if I can release it to the public), culled from the Starfleet Command mods out on the net.
star blazers fan

Postby Captain Pierce » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:45 am

The biggest problem with your average SFC model is that it runs in the 5000-poly range these days. Since 500 is high-poly by the standards of the original Homeworld, those SFC models don't work so well. :D Back in the olden days, StressPuppy's first version of the TOS mod used a whole bunch of Moonraker's SFC models, and as a result, had a little problem with some crashes due to polycounts... ;) You learned pretty quick not to zoom all the way in on the Federation dreadnought, for example. :D

It's something I've thought about in the past, but I've never come up with a good way to make it work...
Captain Pierce

Postby TheStressPuppy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:08 pm

The major malfunction of putting high poly models into HW/HWC is the fact it wasnt designed to support a model higher than 1500 polys. The Kushan/Taidan motherships are a measly 800-ish polys at the lowest lod. When i 1st experimented importing SFC ships. i didnt take any poly limits at all in mind. the result was a very laggy, and buggy experience. BTW cap the moonraker FDN crashed cause the model was corrupt not cause its poly count was 7k [img]tongue.gif[/img]

For HW/HWC you "Should" keep the count at around 2500-3000 max for cap ships (and lod the hell out of em). and 800 max for smaller ships like fighters. I say "Should" cause no one really adheres to these limits
TheStressPuppy

Postby star blazers fan » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:48 pm

I agree with those limitations. And you are right about high poly counts. I can't talk about Homeworld, but Homeworld Cataclysm seems different, by the way I only mod Cat. I have had no problems with the mods that I have built, so far, and most if not all of the ships are below the 3000 poly count limit. Besides you really don't want to make huge armadas anyways. Keep it down to 1-6 of any one ship and the game doesn't slow down too much. Would anyone of you like to see what I have so far?
star blazers fan

Return to Cataclysm Trek