TW Curry in game

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:09 pm

There was a time when I'd planned to include both the Curry (Miranda nacelles) and the Shelley (Excelsior nacelles, with the secondary hull mounted further forward; the old SOA support frigate) in the mod, the Curry as Hive Frigate and the Shelley as Processor. I kind of gave up on that when I noticed that, when ships were in their proper scale, the Peregrine/Falcon didn't look nearly as cool on the Shelley's "flight deck" as it did back in the old un-scaled SOA days. :( So I pretty much abandoned that plan.

As for the concept of the Frankenstein Fleet... I'm pretty much ignoring that, at least for the ships I'm using from it. I don't really believe that Starfleet engineers can just combine parts of different ships willy-nilly as though they were so many TV special effects guys with no budget to work with :D , so I'm giving these ships an actual Starfleet history. Both the Curry and the Centaur have different nacelles than their obviously Excelsior ancestry would suggest, so perhaps, in the early 24th Century, when the Excelsior was king of the hill, Starfleet felt a need to reserve the Excelsior nacelles to build "full" Excelsiors. Maybe the Curry, as a more "compact" ship, could fit inside the warp field generated by Miranda-class nacelles (which would presumably have had a well-established production line by this time). The Centaur, which seems to be an attempt at a Miranda replacement, probably wasn't built in great numbers (since there's so many Mirandas still around in DS9, it would seem that they never actually were replaced ;) ); its nacelles might have been an attempt to incorporate the technological advances of the Excelsior nacelle into a simpler-to-build unit.

Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Post by Sjet vs. Kerrigan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:28 pm

Originally posted by Captain Pierce:
the Peregrine/Falcon didn't look nearly as cool on the Shelley's "flight deck" as it did back in the old un-scaled SOA days.
I remember that! It was really cool to see all those fighters lined up on the Shelley's hull.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:00 pm

Frankenstien fleet, or not unfortunetly these ships are "Canon", and it is our own self imposed rule that Canon ships are used untill all slots are filled up, or we run out of canon ships to fill them whichever comes 1st. We could have also taken some liberties with the designs which i did with the Centaur. The curry was just a quick build-up to fill the slot for the next release.

Im more inclined to think that with all the excelsiors that were built over its 80 year history (there were 1000's built by the time of the dominion wars). Some of them during all the wars, and skirmish's over time were so badly damaged that repairing, and refitting them into full excelsiors wouldnt have been cost effective, but parts of them were still salvageable. So starfleet used these parts to build these "frankenstien" ships so there would be the maximum amout of combat ships available at minumum cost. Some of them may have proven to be worthy designs like the Centaur. Others well...lets just say no ship like the curry was ever built as "New construction".

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:38 am

There's no way, though, that something like a Centaur or Curry could have been made from an Excelsior. (IMO, anyway. :D ) I've long theorized that ships like the Miranda and Excelsior were designed to be much more easily upgraded than, say, the Constitution (two and a half years for a refit is a bit excessive to have your front-line starships in drydock, wouldn't ya think? ;) ), thus explaining their long service life, but this is a bit ridiculous. In the case of either the Curry or Centaur, you're talking about having to gut the primary hull and find room to install a warp core inside it. That does NOT sound like an aftermarket modification to me. :D As far as TW is concerned, all these babies were built in their current configuration... ;)

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”