Beast Supply Components

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Postby deathblane » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:41 pm

This is very interesting, I look forward to seeing if you can pull it off [img]smile.gif[/img]
deathblane

Postby Captain Pierce » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:11 pm

You know, in the warp.script file for moving to a specific SP mission, you can specify what modules the MS should have, so I wonder if you couldn't just tell the game to include a support module at the start of an MP map... The biggest problem I'd see with that, though, would be the way Cataclysm MP maps are set up. You'd either have to give both sides the same setup, rig a "dummy" support module for the other side, or play "russian roulette" with the map like my "Attack on Orias" TW map.

[edit] Just tried it, and while the support module was indeed there when the game started, it blew up almost immediately. That was with a completely stock Somtaaw MS, though, so maybe it doesn't fully apply to a mod situation... [/edit]

[size="1"][ 24. February 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ][/size]
Captain Pierce

Postby Howedar » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:56 pm

Must you also specify the health of the component perhaps?
Howedar

Postby Captain Pierce » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:34 am

The way I did it, I don't really see how you can. All I did was add it in as another ship in the missphere files. Is there another way?
Captain Pierce

Postby Howedar » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:43 am

No idea. Just pondering.
Howedar

Postby Cleron » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:08 am

Well ive tweaked a bit more and have had no luck in getting the Pod's hull damage effects working, no matter how i alter the MEX it just ends up displaying the effects on the Mothership "Core".

On the bright side even if i could have got the hull effects working on the "Shell" then the rect from it would have killed all the weapons. Remember in Cat how MS weapons don't always fire/hit there targets if it's at a certin angel ? well 2 rects over laping causes this & kills any and all weapons.

What i ended up doing is steching a mesh for the mothership "Core" so it followed the same line as the Shell in hopes of the effects hitting closer to the outer edge of the shell so u can see some of the effects, it didn't work great but it was better then before. Besides i believe i could get a shield type effect that would solve the hole problem... though im not sure if i could just limit it to certin ships or weapons.. hmm
Cleron

Postby Sjet vs. Kerrigan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:41 am

If Cataclysm handles damage effects the same as HW (I don't have the files in front of me right now) you can make the mothership not display damage effects.
Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Postby Captain Pierce » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:51 am

I'm not 100% sure how you're trying this, Cleron, so if you're already doing it this way I apologize, but here's how I would do it.

I would start with the "mothership" and "mothershipsupport" models exactly the same. Then, I would .mex the "mothership" the way I'd want it, and the "mothershipsupport" to have nothing but a bounding box at coordinates 0,0,0 with dimension of 0,0,0 (the way I did the mothership components in BTFF to keep things from hitting them." Then, and I know this is the really odd part, I would replace the "mothership" model with the infamous Little Green Cube™.

Yeah, I know, it's going to look weird for a second or three until the player can build the support module, but it just seems to me that this would solve the problems you're experiencing. And Cataclysm modding is all about living with what solves your problems, isn't it? ;)

Don't have time to test it myself anytime soon , or I would...

(BTW, that is the damnedest looking Federation Starbase I've ever seen... :D )

[size="1"][ 26. February 2004, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ][/size]
Captain Pierce

Postby Cleron » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:48 am

How exactly do you do that (green cube) thing ?

At the moment the MS model is the support pod with no rect or coll, i had to add the navs to it though to get it looking right. The MS has everything else & is a streched probe droid.
Cleron

Postby Captain Pierce » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:24 pm

I usually do it by just putting a wrong path in the .lod file, like R-one-zero instead of R-L-zero.
Captain Pierce

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Trek