Another TW/SoA WIP by Moi

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:17 pm

Well, then there's the wierd pipe&tail thing along the top, near the starboard and port bows. And the WAY over-greebled warp pylons.

IMO, less is more detail-wise. A smoother ship with less protrusions looks more advanced than one with all sorts of wierd random greeblies, and the aesthetic is better too. I mean, I hate just about all of the Wars ships (save the fighters, greebles work better for fighters though) thx to WAY too many greeblies! And I think that the Miranda would have been way better if not for the massive greeble banks on the starboard and port sterns.

But in Trek, at least in Starfleet, the worst, by far, offender of over-greeble is the Constellation.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:09 pm

Why do you think this ship has been such a nightmare to model. Too many greebles = staggering poly count/crappy preformance. Not enough = low quality model/cartoon effect/overall bad looking ship. Damned if you do, and damned if you dont. Only a few that i know of modeled her with mixed results, and they had a higher poly limit than HW/Cat does, all 2 of those ships were 5K+. I tried to keep it under 3k successfully. The complete mesh (With Torpedo Bays) is now 2667, and im not sticking another poly on it Image

These are the Final WIP's before texture work starts. The rest of the Greebles, and warp glows will be textured in (think of my excelsior all the greebles are textured on that).

Torpedos Away (no rear bays i did it in accordance with the stuido model..sorry)

These are 3dex renders BTW, shadowing brings out the detail Image

Texture WIP's will be in another thread

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:37 pm

Just be sure to texture it RIGHT, not like the studio model, which has none of the details on the impulse and photon decks painted in for some stupid reason. :rolleyes:

I went back and rechecked that Stargazer article, and it turned out I was remember wrong. Sternbach claims that the aft photons are located somewhere between the impulse decks. I always thought that sounded stupid, so I wanted them moved to the photon decks. ;)

Looks awesome, Stress. Can't wait to see her textured... :D And in-game kicking Cardassian ass!

[ 01. February 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:32 pm

Im gonna need some more screen caps (as many as you can muster up) showing the ship from as many angles as possible. Ya it is kinda stupid that they didnt paint the torp bay or impulse detail. i wont make that same mistake ;)

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:35 am

I'm guessing that you probably have everything that I could possibly get you... the shots at Pedro's Ship-O-Rama, in particular, cover pretty much every angle the ship was seen at.

What the heck do you need reference for, anyway? It's a Constitution kitbash--just texture it the same way... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Dolphoenix

Post by Dolphoenix » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:56 am

The original mesh was in fact made in milkshape

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:38 am

ya thats true, its just those stupid rear bays in between the impulse engines that r buggin me. funny how they go from square launchers on the pylons to perfect circles on the rear launchers (unpainted to top it off). but the rest seems pretty easy to pull off [img]smile.gif[/img]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:06 pm

The circular rear torp launchers aren't canon--there's no clear shot of the ass end of the ship that the modeller could have used for reference. At least none that we could find... ;)

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”