Another TW/SoA WIP by Moi

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:36 am

I tend to think that when Picard called the Stargazer "underpowered," he was comparing it to the Enterprise-D. ;) Certainly four warp nacelles and two sets of impulse engines would have a tendency to drain a lot of power, and the ship is limited to the size of warp core it could have, but I don't think a ship class like the one Picard's comments seem to imply could have served for over 80 years in Starfleet. ;) The Constellation was designed to replace the Constitution, according to Rick Sternbach's writeup, so it's going to be capable of kicking a little Cardassian ass in TW at least. :D

Stress, it has to have the torpedo bays. Period. And don't forget that each bay has one rearward-firing tube. ;)

Oh, and a silly question I've been meaning to ask--why model the cutout in the front of the saucer and not any of the other 4-6 cutouts on the sides?

[ 01. February 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:51 am

Nice model!

AWFUL design!

:D

Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Post by Sjet vs. Kerrigan » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:31 am

That wireframe looked a lot like a Milkshape screenshot. Milkshape also has a grid, axes, and a light blue background.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:19 am

i thought svk was gona say something else for a minute..

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:12 am

The wireframe screen is from milkshape. i use milkshape to help me texture, and to mirror duplicate parts (i find it easier to do in MS than max). I model with max. There is no way to get all that detail cleanly with milkshape. Tho i do occasionally use it to finish up a mesh.

I didnt mesh the other SIX hanger bays for a reason. The main one was to conserve polys. the other being that the doors are damn near flush with the hull, and there was no need to mesh them when i can get the same effect with texturing [img]smile.gif[/img] The foward bay was the only one that had a deep recess

Ill do the torp bays later today, tho in all the studio pics i have i dont see a single aft tube. Both bays are closed off at the ends, and blend in with the horizontal pylons. just like the connie II's bay blends in with the secondary hull. What reference do u have that it does have aft torps? (and where are they on the model?)

I also agree its an awfull design, but i does have a certain charm about her. that of it being unique ;)

[ 01. February 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:20 pm

The existence of the rear torpedo tubes is from the magazine article by Rick Sternbach.

According to the same article, only the four side doors closest to the middle of the ship are shuttlebays; they don't give any indication as to what the other three doors are for. :rolleyes:

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:53 pm

Really big cargo bays?

;)

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:16 pm

That's probably what the one in front is, actually. Some of the cargo bays on ships like the Galaxy and Intrepid classes had doors that opened into space, so it would make sense. Not so sure about the smaller ones toward the rear of the saucer--how many cargo bays does one ship need? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:22 pm

How many shuttlebays does this thing need? Or wierd pontoon-y things on the bottom?

This ship is, quite frankly, a ridiculous design in the details, though I do kinda like the aesthetic, but the details run it.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:39 pm

Each of the shuttlebays, for some reason, only holds one shuttlecraft. Three are standard; the fourth is a top-secret "recon" shuttle, still classified as of the post-TNG era.

The greebles underneath the saucer are, at least partially, tied into the deflector system. Without an actual deflector dish, the Constellation's deflector system is a bit odd. The big thing at the back of the port side, with the pointy thing, is a "sensor turret."

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”