Wonderfull, but BTFF ?? (New BTFF release inside!)

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:28 am

Good luck. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think what you may find, though, is that the sort of scripting you're used to from "Thief" only works in a game that's designed to use that sort of scripting. As a game not designed to be modded, and with even more hard-coded nonsense than Homeworld, Cataclysm doesn't have any scripts that you can modify to make anything happen. But it's always worth a shot. :D

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:31 am

Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] lets us know if u get anything working. (we all tried, and failed) I think SvK was the only one to work out a new file system. but thats still in the experimental phase.

I didnt, nor will i forget BTFF. Just other things r taking priority now [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sterlino

Post by Sterlino » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:36 am

No no don't think so.
I mean to make some easy and direct without any script or modify. It's only an idea. Why change all when i can change the simple dir of the ships ?
stay in touch and you will see what i mean....

Sterlino

Post by Sterlino » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:30 pm

Well here i am.

The simple Idea:

Instead to make an upgrade ingame (that's seems to be impossible..) we can turn around that thing
making a two (or more) kind of ships and put them on the sequence of the research classified.

Here is the example.
In the first stage of the game (with obviously the research set ON) we can build up a
saladin ship (in this case as rammingfrigate, but this it did'nt matter at all).

and so until the player reach the next step of research gained he must play only with it,
exactly as the idea to build up an upgrade of the same ship.

so after a long (setted long) time of research the player can now build up the upgrade saladin ship:
That's it:

ok at the end we have more ships and the half of them are not so powerfull as we need,
but under the point of view of tactical, it's a great game. You can also make unbuildable any new saladin when the upgraded ship is avaiable....

this is not my work, it's only an idea, hope i've done something of helpfull for you....

Isn't so wonderfull have these ships all togheter in game ?

[ 04. February 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Sterlino ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:00 am

It's an interesting idea, but I see a couple of problems with it.

The biggest thing is that Cataclysm doesn't have nearly enough slots to pull something like this off. For example, in your test there, the Ramming Frigate is a completely useless slot. ;) Maybe in Homeworld it might work better slot-wise, but then you'd run into the second problem--the computer could very likely run into problems trying to deal with it. The only time I did major changes to the research tree, I wound up with an AI that didn't know how to build anything anymore--and this would certainly take a major rebuild of the research tree. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Great idea, I just thinks it falls a little short on the practical side. [img]smile.gif[/img]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:34 am

SvK any suggestions?

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:47 am

"SvK's new file system" has nothing to do with adding slots, just shuffling some things around so his particular brand of ETG wizardry works a little more smoothly. ;) It's also not all that new or even SvK's idea originally. [img]smile.gif[/img] First time I saw the concept was, IIRC, back in the last B5TC release, where CnlPepper may have been using it for some ETG wizardry of his own... :D

(This is not intended in any way as criticism of SvK or disrespect of his work. Just clarification. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

[ 04. February 2004, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Post by Sjet vs. Kerrigan » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:29 am

Ono! You said something about me that wasn't gushing praise!

/me calls down lightning!

I discovered it independantly of Cnl Pepper. Dasher knew about it too.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:09 pm

I'll try not to let it happen again... ;)

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:52 pm

I can't see any picture.
Why? [img]graemlins/eekus.gif[/img]
Someday, I'll own one of these biatches...:grinangel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”