The Wounded version 0.21 released & website launched

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:08 am

No, im making a totally new miranda, or i should say miranda parts.

As far as re-building for hw2...screw it! im tired of waiting for a decent importer, and im friggen tired of trying to learn a new 3d prog with plugins that make absolutly no sense. Every attemt at creating a hod was an abismal failure. Im a 3dsmax person, and untill someone makes hw2 plugs for 3dsmax, or a stand alone importer im not gonna mod hw2. (Im having ORB flashbacks)

hehehe in 75% done with the new miranda nacelles

Kurimuzon

Post by Kurimuzon » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:01 am

oh Sweetness yes!! I've been waiting so long for something like this...yes, my life is pathetic =p

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:34 pm

Good ol' Stress... never one to use a perfectly good existing model if he can make more work for himself... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:40 am

Wont have it any other way ;)

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:24 pm

I should, I suppose, mention a couple of the other changes I've made for the mod. The biggest ones are that all ships can now hyperspace, and hyperspacing is free. Not sure how this is going to work in the long run, would like some feedback. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also, the bugs that were mentioned after 0.2 was released last summer should all now be fixed. The biggest ones that I recall were docking issues with the Starbase, both for workers trying to drop off resources and docking other ships for repair, retirement.

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:55 am

It was great fun to play [img]smile.gif[/img] been ages since i started up Cat [img]smile.gif[/img] Of course i do have a few suggestions (i always do [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Id put the Curry into the Processor slot, it's designed as a Cargo ship and it's fast (warp wise) You can add 3 top pahser banks for a little protection and there's plenty of room for workers to dock. You'll still need to come up with an original Worker but then there simply aint much in the ST world that fills that role other then a worker bee.

Second id move a large ship into the vacant Hive Frigate slot. The slot works fully unlike many others and for the moment your only using Shuttles as attack craft so the Std Excel or Niagra would fill this slot well.

Id probably turn off the DFG slot, Ive always had problems with the ship crashing into other's and while ive had mild sucess with getting it "fair" ive never had a ship in that slot that functioned properly Especially of the larger kind. Same goes for both the MBF slot and Ramer slot, there specialized positions, however you can use the Beast sentinal to off set this, it works like a normal frigate besides it's shield effect. Of course you have to alter the research scripts to get it in game.

The Cheyenne & Akula are decent ships too

http://www.ussmiranda.com/ships/akula.htm

http://www.ussmiranda.com/ships/cheyenne.htm

But i had fun ;) that's the main thing [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:44 pm

In some earlier builds of the mod, I had the old SOA "Shelley" in as the Processor, but every time I tried to fully .mex the damn thing, something would go wrong. The other problem with it was, with the ships in proper scale with each other, the Falcon docking on the upper surface of the secondary hull wasn't anywhere near as cool as it was when they were out of scale in the old SOA versions. ;) The Curry would have the additional problem that it doesn't have a big flat area of hull for the Falcons to dock at, and the Falcons are well too big for the shuttlebays, so there's really no place for them to dock.

Hive Frigate works fully only if it has swarmers to launch. Take those away, and it has a tendency to crash. The Curry, with its three shuttlebays, seems to fit the role about as well as anything in the Trek universe.

The Cataclysm DFG slot works about 95% like a normal slot, without (in my experience, anyway) the tendency to ram things that the HW DFG has. I've taken the Saratoga out of the MBF slot and into Interceptor for now, since it's unlikely I'll get the ship I was going to use as the interceptor anytime soon. ;) And I have no intentions to make a Federation Ramming Frigate anytime soon. [img]smile.gif[/img] The Sentinel slot isn't quite normal, its behavior is more like the HW Defender than anything else, and I don't really see a ship in this era that works real well for it--I'm using the Steamrunner there in ITL only because of the "Armada" game concept that it's an "artillery" ship of some sort, which I don't really believe, but it fits the slot. :D

The Akula, IMO, is atrocious. [img]smile.gif[/img] The Cheyenne will go in as one of the corvettes if I can ever get one... ;)

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:11 am

Only problem i ever incountered with the processor is the reapir beams must be put on and i think you do need to use 4 always (and a crystal beam). As a rule in Cat if something plays up like that use the original mex and merge original shp files data with the new ship data and eliminate sections (beams guns dock points etc) one at a time till you find the problem. CAT can be very picky at times.

Docking is easy you just have them come along side the ship... no actual docking [img]smile.gif[/img] they have transporters for a reasion [img]tongue.gif[/img] It dosen't look all that bad and it's quite cool seeing 4-8 little ships stationed around a supply ship [img]smile.gif[/img] ive done similar things. It could be better but unless you want to come up with something new you'll have to work with what you have.

Like i said your using Shuttles and there are only 5-6 swarmers per hive so the larger ships should look perfectly fine launching them out of there shuttle bays. The hive slot is to valuable to wast on the Shelly when it will fit in the processor slot just fine. And it only crashes when there's no dock points, i forget if it worked now... it's been ages but if you really wanted i believe you could make invisible swarmers that can't fire... that i believe would work fine.

Cat's DFG is better... not infallable but i spose passable... still i think the Excel is a bit to big for the the slot, id probably put one of your Miranda Varants in the slot.

The Sentinel would work decently enough with the smaller ships... another Miranda varant type slot, it's not perfect as you said but hey it's better then the MBF slot.

The Carrier (witch i believe your uncertin about) Id look into "Warping" ships in, however im unsure if you can do that for only the carrier. "Shrugz" it's something to look at... there's plety of command type ships for the perioud.

Finally the Akula is not an ugly ship when you compare it to things like the "Freedom" witch is a truly a peace of "Scrap" if ive ever seen one.

http://www.ussmiranda.com/images/ships/freedom2.jpg

(For Akula see link above)

Arh well i supose will just have to agree to disagree as per usual [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 30. January 2004, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Cleron ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:44 am

Actually, I like the Freedom a heck of a lot more than the Akula. :D It has a great "Saladin" quality to it...

I have been modding Cataclysm long enough to know the procedures, thanks anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img] The Shelley, unlike any other ship I've ever worked with in the Processor slot, would just reach a point where the .mex would start crashing the game. I went through the thing about three times before I just got tired of f*cking with it.

I don't consider the Curry to be "wasted" in the Hive Frigate slot, since it's the ship I've ALWAYS had in that slot, from the first time I started planning this mod. The shuttle Swarmers are merely a standin for the ship I actually want to put there, which I am unlikely to ever have. I may someday come to a point where I decide to shuffle it out, but today is not that day. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Neither the DFG nor Sentinel slots fit any of the Miranda variants. They're quick, maneuverable ships--DS9 showed them pretty much keeping up with the Defiant a time or two, which I think is a bit much, but I want to keep them in slots where they can at least maneuver.

Ships build the same way for command ship and carrier. Also, I really don't WANT the carrier to build ships.

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:41 am

Those pics of the Freedom look an awful lot like the work of The Red Admiral of Trekmania fame...and the renders themselves are uncredited...

I think that maybe I should alert him to this. They look eerily like his work.

Return to “Cataclysm Trek”