[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - Back in a modding mood...

Back in a modding mood...

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Cataclysm

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Charvell, Pierce 2: The Sequel

Postby Captain Pierce » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:26 pm

Well, doing a little work for Meurig on the HWFS mod has gotten me back in the mood to be doing some modding... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Unfortunately for those waiting on ITL, I'm actually starting with TW. ;) Sorry, kids... :D

So, thanks to a little kitbashing by SvK, say hello to TW's latest ship, the Melbourne:

Seen here departing Starbase 374 for some early early trials, USS Melbourne, NCC-62043, was the ninth Nebula-class keel laid down. However, it was actually finished before any of the previous eight--and in radically different form. The Melbourne was the first of two prototype Nebulas that experimented with an unusual (and ultimately unsuccessful) 4-nacelled warp-drive system. The two smaller nacelles were envisioned as "sustaining" drives, capable of kicking in when the ship was in warp drive and maintaining the ship's speed while the main nacelles were rested on longer journeys. As it turned out, though, the nacelles of the Galaxy and Nebula classes performed well above expectations, and such "sustaining" proved to be unnecessary at the lower warp speeds the smaller nacelles could operate at. All other Nebula-class ships were built in the original two-nacelle configuration.

The Melbourne maintained her unusual configuration until her destruction in 2366 at Wolf 359; the other (and slightly different) prototype, the Brisbane, NCC-62044, was converted to use 2 nacelles only, rebuilt to include a mount for standard Nebula-class equipment pods, and served in Starfleet well into the 25th century.

It should also be noted that the Melbourne took place in at least one other fleet action than her most famous one at Wolf 359. Recently declassified information from the Cardassian Wars suggest that, during those trials near Starbase 374, the Melbourne was involved in a raid on a Cardassian shipyard. The details of the mission have not yet been declassified; however, the following images:

from the sensor logs of other ships involved in the mission clearly show the Melbourne.

[size="1"][ 01. January 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ][/size]
<a href="http://www.trekmods.com/" target="_blank"> Image</a>
Captain Pierce

Postby Meurig » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:34 pm

That is one ugly, ugly ship [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Still ,f I am responsible in some way for getting you back into modding, that can only be a good thing, right? :D
Meurig

Postby Skeeter » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:37 pm

Why the extra nacels, i've read what u typed but again why would they do that in ur story?

Its just it looks daft. Sorry but it does in my opinion. Maybe just having two small ones or the two large ones, but not both sets together. Nice try tho.
Skeeter

Postby Captain Pierce » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:45 pm

For those not understanding the lineage of this design, see (as usual ;) ) Ex Astris. On , if you scroll down a bit, you'll see views of all the various Nebula variants, and some discussion thereof; the Melbourne specifically is discussed .

For those who never follow my links :D , a TNG modeller by the name of Ed Miarecki built the Melbourne and another 4-nacelled variant as some of the early prototypes for the Nebula-class ship featured in the episode (coincidentally enough) "The Wounded." [img]tongue.gif[/img] As usual at TNG, if a model was built, it got used. The "Melbourne" model was used in the Wolf 359 graveyard; the other was used in "Future Imperfect" in Riker's ready room, and was later modified with a Nebula pod and the extra nacelles removed for Sisko's office on DS9.

So, like the design or not (and honestly, I don't like it all that much myself [img]smile.gif[/img] ), it's a canon part of Star Trek. It's in a non-buildable slot, and will only feature into one custom map--the aforementioned shipyard raid... ;)
Captain Pierce

Postby Howedar » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:27 am

YIKES but that's an old starbase!

The model does look quite nice, though. I don't even remember, did we never get smoothing in Cat?
Howedar

Postby Captain Pierce » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:03 pm

You know, I never remember to smooth things... ;)
Captain Pierce

Postby Darth1o9 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:33 pm

well when we gona be able to try out these new models ol mate
Darth1o9

Postby Manticore » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:41 pm

Just curious, but am I the only one reminded of that Voyager/Maquis Raider kitbash when looking at the Melbourne?
Manticore

Postby FendeR » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:12 pm

Yes,you are [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Someday, I'll own one of these biatches...:grinangel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FendeR

Postby Darth1o9 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:58 pm

hmm never seen that, and i dont think i wanna either now :(
Darth1o9

Next

Return to Cataclysm Trek