Releases.. future plans... etc..blah blah blah

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

Dolphoenix

Post by Dolphoenix » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:33 am

OK.. time to start spilling my guts here..
We've been on extended break for a while...
Homeworld 2 release is fast approaching.

So here's what I (great and powerful fearless leader) would like to see happen -

Homeworld 1 -
SoA - Yeah that's right.. a final release of SoA.. coming to a computer near you.

HaG - I know I know.. I've said it before, but this time it's true.. I've actually had a brand new working version sitting on my computer for a while.. Look for a release within about a week...

As far as Homeworld goes, that's probably it, unless Stress wants to push on with IaW..

Cataclysm -

OK, I'm guilty again.. I've had a version of a Cat mod sitting on my computer for a while, if people are interested, I can up what I have.. Basically the player is Dominion, and the beast is Borg..
Maybe work will progress maybe not...

Bridge Commander -
FtB (Favor the Bold) - you guys are gonna kill us.. We've been sitting on a release of FtB for a while now.. I think we have like over 30ish ships in, balanced.. new bridges etc.. the mod is over 135 megs.. I'm trying to get with Dasher, and we'll try to make release(s) ASAP..

Homeworld 2 -

SoA 2 ..? We don't know yet, but we are DEFINATELY gonna mod HW2.. no ands ifs or buts...
''Sympathy is irrelivant. Begging is futile. It will be my way or not at all.

Howedar

Post by Howedar » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:30 am

I personally would be shocked if we didn't end up porting both HaG and SoA to HW2, our ships are detailed enough and stuff, and the extra modability (if present) would be just too hard to resist.

Thats just from a lowly modeller though :D

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:31 am

As far as my plans go... IaW/BTFF will have 1 last release. I will still tinker around with the HW mods, but since the future HW2 mods will probobly eclipse anything we put out for HW or Cat, there wont be any point in doing full blown release's anymore. so ill just do small add-on updates with new ships, scripts, and fx as i go.
As far as HW2 mods... I have no plans for a TOS mod for HW2. at least not yet. I DO have plans for a TMP mod (u think i made that excelsior just for HW?).

Im more inclined to agree with howie that our 1st mods for HW2 will more than likely be port overs from HW (SoA, HaG, TW etc..), At least untill we can get some fresh ideas going [img]smile.gif[/img]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am

The ships are certainly detailed enough, I personally am just hoping that y'all saved higher-resolution textures for them... ;) It's been said that HW2 has 5 times the "texture budget" of HW1, and I for one would hate to see that go to waste... :D

As always, I stand ready to assist in any way I can. In particular, Dolph, do you want the work I did on the Dominion/Borg Cataclysm mod?

Howedar

Post by Howedar » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:46 am

We most certainly did :D

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:20 am

All of which sounds good, if you were wanting comments from the general public.

As for the suggestion of porting the existing mods across - certainly I would be in favour of porting the concepts over, but not attempting anything that could be labelled as a direct replication of the original work. It's a new game, with new possibilities, and a new frontier, so to speak...

That's a personal opinion, however - I'd just be worried that a direct port would receive a negative response, and I'm quite fond of the work you've done; fond enough not to wish for that.

Still, I'll await future developments quietly and appreciatively [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dolphoenix

Post by Dolphoenix » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:06 am

we're already way ahead of you

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:01 pm

I think i can speak for most of us modellers. The models most of us make are very high quality at the start. 1024x1024 textures, high poly counts yada yada yada. Then comes the task of reducing poly counts, and textures so the model will work in the original HW/Cat games (this doesnt include the lodding yet). Once thats done we basicly have "neutered" versions of our original work.

HW2 will change all that by lifting the limitations of the original HW/Cat engine, and the limitations we imposed upon ourselves. Where poly counts of 2000+ was considered pushing the limit too high in HW, It's an average count in HW2. If any of you have noticed the new motherships detail, you KNOW theres no way that the ship is under 2000 polys. Other standard ships have detail thats similarly impressive. and from what i can see the lodding system has improved. The illumination, and bump mapping is also a nice touch, and will only serve to make our models look even better.

Right now i have a TOS Constitution class that i made a year ago, it has a poly count of 5000+, and uses 1024 x 1024 textures and illumination maps. I never imported it into HW because of the high count, and i didnt want to reduce the textures because all the detail would be washed away. HW2 looks like it can easily handle that ship, and then some [img]smile.gif[/img] just need to bump map it. IF i do decide to do a TOS mod for HW2(big IF), That ship will be the star of the show :D Ill post screens of it if anyone wants to see it.

The point im trying to make is that for example, Porting SoA into HW2 wont mean porting the same low poly HW models over with it, If any of you played the Favor the Bold mod THAT is what kind of quality to expect [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06. September 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

FlashFire

Post by FlashFire » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:20 pm

Hi guys,

Dolph, a suggestion for the FTB download, make it a 7-zip self extractor

http://www.7-zip.org/

I've had _EXTREMELY_ good compression results from that, better than WinRAR and Winzip most certainly, and saving bandwidth (and download time for people on slowass connections) is always a good idea.

Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Post by Sjet vs. Kerrigan » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:52 pm

Umm, dang. If final releases of SOA and HaG are going out soon, I'd better get you guys a hyperspace animation.

Return to “Homeworld Trek”