How can I tell if my AGP slot is 1.0 or 2.0 ?

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

JC Denton

Post by JC Denton » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:08 pm

I intend to upgrade my PC's graphics card in a few months, but I have run into a really embarrassing stump. How can I tell if my AGP slot on my motherboard is AGP 1.0 or AGP 2.0? The motherboard producers web-page on my board only says: "AGP Slot Supports 66/133MHz Speeds". That just confuses the hell outa me Image. Anyone know where I could get a program to tell me? Or can anyone determine if it's 1.0 or 2.0 by the phrase "63/ 133 MHz sppeds supported"? Thanks for your time. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA 6VXE+ if anyone has experience with that paticular board.

[This message has been edited by JC Denton (edited 19 January 2003).]

FlashFire

Post by FlashFire » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:20 pm

Firstly, it's VIA based, so even though it does support AGP2x, it might not work reliably with a modern videocard attached.

Secondly, have you thought about ditching the P3/VIA mainboard for something with a bit more pep?. that board is likely to be a bottleneck for any remotely powerful videocard placed on it anyway.

JC Denton

Post by JC Denton » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:34 pm

^Actually, I've thought about ditching my entire PC for quite some time now Image, but I I don't have the cash for it Image. Because of my current money condition, I'm not going to be buying a graphics card that's exactly "cutting edge" anyways. I was thinking about the nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra with 32 megs of VRAM or an nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 with 64 megs of VRAM. These appear to be the only ones that will work with a 250-watt power supply. Do you think I should purchase an additional air-fan in event of either upgrade? Or is the onboard cooling sysytem okay? Thanks for posting btw, I'm sure noobs like myself are annoying as hell Image.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:39 pm

Whatever you decide, I'd advice against getting a GF4 MX card. Go for a GF3 200 or something instead.

JC Denton

Post by JC Denton » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:48 pm

^Yes, my first choice was an Geforce 3 Ti 200, it seemed to be the most cost efficent, but I've read that it requires a 300-watt power supply, and my case has a 250-watt power supply. I would just upgrade the power supply, but since my motherboard only supports Pentium 2s, 3s and Celerons (according to the producer's site), I figure there isn't much life left in the damn thing anyways, so I'll just upgrade it to the maximums I can without swapping power supplies, motherboards, or anything else that I can't take with me to a new PC.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:40 pm

Depending on how many other things you have in your setup, I don't think you'll have too many problems running a ti200 on a 250W system.

FlashFire

Post by FlashFire » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:03 pm

Originally posted by JC Denton:
^Yes, my first choice was an Geforce 3 Ti 200, it seemed to be the most cost efficent, but I've read that it requires a 300-watt power supply, and my case has a 250-watt power supply. I would just upgrade the power supply, but since my motherboard only supports Pentium 2s, 3s and Celerons (according to the producer's site), I figure there isn't much life left in the damn thing anyways, so I'll just upgrade it to the maximums I can without swapping power supplies, motherboards, or anything else that I can't take with me to a new PC.

Where are you at geographically?

an ECS K7S5A & an AthlonXP 1800+ would allow you to reuse your existing ram, and be one HELL of a lot faster than the P3 or Celery you've got now

a decent 300w psu should also be on the list though..

it's a question of price/performance, and depending on what videocard you've got now, swapping the powersupply/mainboard/processor might make a much bigger difference thana new videocard.

AstroMat1

Post by AstroMat1 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:14 pm

Hey Jc Denton

I have a GeForce 3 Ti 200 in my computer and only have a 250 watt power supply. Haven't had any trouble with it yet, so there's at least two votes of confidence: mine and Viper's.

------------------
Matt Swayne
aka AstroMat1

Sound guru for Armada, JKII, and other games...just for fun.

Also MEXer and SHPer for Homeworld!

Pos_21

Post by Pos_21 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:32 pm

LMAO

i was just having this problem, too! well, i don't have a clue of my MoBo's name, or type... pluged in a GF4 Ti... and it worked!!! guess i was lucky...

please note that this post was void of any usefull information. Image

------------------
GADM Pos_21, Unknown Regions

ALLEGIANCE LIVES!!!

-Pos_21, out

JC Denton

Post by JC Denton » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:25 am

I dunno Astromat. I'm not sure how you did it, but at http://www.pny.com/home/products/Vcard_Ti200.cfm it says "350 watts". At www.visiontek.com 's FAQ, they say

Q: How many watts should my power supply be in order to run one of your graphics cards?
A: We recommend 250 watts for GeForce 2 based cards and 300 watts w/ min 165w combined for GeForce 3 cards.

I would still try a GF3 Ti 200, but I'm afraid of wasting the cash. I'm going to buy from a super-discount place, where "all sales are final", so it'll be a one shot deal. Besides, they said:

Q: What are the recommended requirements for GeForce 3/Ti cards?
A: The NVIDIA based GPU (processor) on our cards works independently and in conjunction with your system processor, chipset and memory. This means that the faster the system, the more likely your graphic accelerator will perform better. Recommend minimum requirements for GF3/Ti based cards is 600MHz or higher with 128MB of RAM. For optimum performance, we recommend a 1 GHz processor or higher along with 256MB+ of RAM

I'm under the recommended reqiurements by about 100 mhz. I know it would still work, but at lower performance. And damn, I wouldn't want to pay more for something I can't utilize to it's full potential.

Damn, I sound like a dick don't I? I wander into here and ask for advice, then argue with the advice givers. Well, sorry, I should have researched it more before I came for help. Well, thanks guys, you're way more helpful than that jerk who works at Radioshack Image. I'm going to have to aim between GF3, with either a GF2 Ti, GF2 Ultra or GF4 MX 440. I can get the GF 4 MX 440 for $89.99 Canadian ($58 US).

[This message has been edited by JC Denton (edited 21 January 2003).]

Return to “Homeworld Trek”