Who still plays Homeworld?

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Wed May 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Read back through all my posts and you'll notice there are several things that can potentially cause trouble. As I stated, the trouble is not in maxing out the 32 MB limit. It's caused from inconsistencies within the mod vs .LL vs BIG file. A good start was to remove all the junk but there's some more clean up to do yet. As for the fixes, I'll get on them.....................

OK. I'm in place to start remaking the textures.ll file. I'm going to start with fixing a few things that I "KNOW" are a problem and once this is done I'll start on removing lods. Are you guys sure you want lod3 and lod4 gone because I personally think they're not causing any problems by them selves. If they were the game would go into spasms at the start of "any" game regardless of what races were used because the total texture count is loaded up front in MP. Also, the head room available to us to actually make "better" textures for some ships is rather healthy.

I need lods for r1/heavydefender[EDIT] Never mind, I got it[EDIT]

To get rid of the green square: Make a 1 face PEO and shrink it to nill with no texture map. Edit the MEX to get rid of col info, edit the SHP for same, edit the lod file and set lod0 as the only lod.

Stress. When you were removing things did you happen across a ship that had some leftover vanilla lifs in the folders? I can't remember which folder they were in but I've deleted them on my copy. One more thing. Which lods do you want to keep? I know lod0 is a keeper but which lod do you want to put in for lod1?

[ 26. May 2005, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu May 26, 2005 5:43 am

When i zoom out ships stay at lod0 until they are very far away before it changes to lod2. SoA doesnt use a Lod1 model. What im thinking is making the lod3 model the lod2 model. Reasons being.. 1) By the time you zoom out to lod2 all the detail is all but gone anyway, 2) From that distance you cant tell the difference between the lod2, and lod3 model. 3) The lod3 model has much smaller textures than the lod2 model, hence that much more resources that will be freed up.

In otherwords the 1st lod will be the full resolution high quality model, but all the models will have only 1 lod model that will be a very low poly low detail model only seen at a very far distance. theres no need to edit the lod files themselves exept for making all entrys lod2 after lod0. Move the lod3 peo, and lifs to the lod2 folder then delete the lod 3, and 4 folders. The lod3 models are almost in average half the poly count, or more than the lod0 model, and the textures are 1/3rd the size of lod0. it wont matter eye candywise cause u wont see but a sillouette of the ship.

There are some models with no lods at all (motherships, the excelsior, some others i dont remember right now) Just leave them as they are for now. unless an older version of the mod has the lods

My test more than likely failed because i dont have a new textures.ll but i used just lods 0 and 2. im gonna try a new test with lods 0, and 3 to see how that works out.

I dont get corruption playing 1 on 1 ether race.

Charvell check the dev board.

[ 26. May 2005, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Thu May 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Originally posted by Pierce 2: The Sequel:
Max, the problem isn't crashing, it's that some people experience texture corruption with more than 3 players in the game. :rolleyes:
I've had a lot of crashing with just 1v1 with lots of the HW mods but not all the time.Tex corruption occurs for me 1 human and 2 comp players or more.

Interstingly, that bigcontentsculled file worked without the p1,p1,p3,derelicts and traders but no tex corruption in 1v1 but only for 1v2 or more do I get texture corruption.Removed r1 and r2 entries also and had permanent tex corruption.

Changed r1 and r2 .lifs for lod0 to lod4 for the ones that come with the mod and well permanent tex corruption again.Also modified the file with the lifs being metioned for r1 and r2 to just the lod0 to prevent tex corruption but still permanent corruption.Heres the file:
bigcontentsculledmodified

Don't forget to remove this file:RMF99ba.lif from the SoAv_95a/r1/repaircorvette/rl0/lod0 as it is 0kb big.It is a file generated by HWSE.

maxdamage.

[ 27. May 2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: maxdamage ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Fri May 27, 2005 12:08 am

Originally posted by Manticore:
1v1 as feds is just fine.
I finally found the time to play a game for the first time in ages, and it turns out I remembered it wrong. I can do a 1v1 as feds without corruption, but I can't do a 1v2 like I can playing dom.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Fri May 27, 2005 6:14 am

Originally posted by maxdamage:

Interstingly, that bigcontentsculled file worked without the p1,p1,p3,derelicts and traders but no tex corruption in 1v1 but only for 1v2 or more do I get texture corruption.Removed r1 and r2 entries also and had permanent tex corruption. maxdamage.
Nice try, but if u read above That file is nothing more than a text list. It doesnt do anything for the game at all if you change it.
Originally posted by maxdamage:

Changed r1 and r2 .lifs for lod0 to lod4 for the ones that come with the mod and well permanent tex corruption again.Also modified the file with the lifs being metioned for r1 and r2 to just the lod0 to prevent tex corruption but still permanent corruption.Heres the file:
bigcontentsculledmodified
maxdamage.
Please tell me you didnt put the lod4 lifs into the lod0 folders! :eek: The lod4 textures are like a few pixels wide. No wonder it looks like u got corruption cause the lod4 textures have ZERO detail. Leave lod0 alone. Its lod2 that needs the lod3 peo, and textures put into.

[ 27. May 2005, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Sat May 28, 2005 4:57 am

(null) (0): Fatal Error - Cannot open 'R1\CLOAKEDFIGHTER\RL0\LOD0\ENGINEBACK.LiF'.

Someone tell me where the F#&k this lif is!!!

It's not in the .LL file. I can't find it anywhere but something is calling it up and crashing the game. Thing is... it only crashes when I play r1. That makes NO sense at all!!

I'm removing lods and getting into a shit pot full of trouble!!!

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Sat May 28, 2005 5:08 am

Might be something left over from the original game, some sort of texture sharing issue or something... "engineback" certainly doesn't sound like something Dolph would have named a texture... ;)

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Sat May 28, 2005 12:36 pm

Why would it surface "NOW"? All I'm doing is removing lods that were put in afterwards and I never removed a engineback.lif entry. I think the vanilla cloakedfighter from the BIG is looking for this texture for some unknown reason.

[edit] No it's not. I "Know" what the problem is. The derelicts folder has a ship that is looking for this lif and it just happens to be in the cloakedfighter folder. The unhandled PEO files are starting to surface because I'm slowly taking the games attention off other problems.

[edit]I found the lif. It's in the vanilla r1/rl0/lod1/heavycorvette folder. The vanilla (BIG) r1/rl0/lod0/cloakedfighter is wanting it. Why would a ship that was removed/replaced be calling a lif that isn't there?

[edit] Problem fixed. Aparently the game was stuck or dirty, sort of like a dirty POT (knob) in a sterio causes scratchy sound. (don't "do" that to me....I can't take the pressure) :D

[ 28. May 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sat May 28, 2005 3:30 pm

I ran into that same problem removing lods from the galaxy and the galor/keldon, so i left them alone. galaxy shares its "bussard" lif with another model or another lod folder, why i have no smegging clue.

I can see why the galor/keldon shares its textures, they are very similar ships.

Ran into another problem... if i replace the lod2 textures with lod3 i get an effect similar to CAT's rainbow warrior only at a distance the vorcha looks red, and the excelsior is black. I have no clue why this is ether. cause lod0 looks fine.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sat May 28, 2005 4:45 pm

Could be that the mapping is slightly different on the lower lod models for those ships. Try taking a look in the editor, how those lods look with lod2 textures, and then look at the lod2 models with lod 3 textures in the editor.

Return to “Homeworld Trek”