Who still plays Homeworld?

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Sun May 29, 2005 2:47 pm

Stress. You're getting corruption from a couple of different places.

1) when you put a ship back in, always check the materials RGB and compare it with a vanilla ship. Sometimes this gets reset or corrupted. It may be that the lod3 ship was never used at the distance the lod file had set for it and it only now shows up because it's being used. This will cause the shading differences.

2) Texture and size of lifs don't match what is in the .LL file because they've been switched. This will cause a psudo rainbow effect.

Work is going slowly because of a fense building project here but I'm still plugging away. I'll take a look at the sharing issue and try to fix the problem when I get to it. Don't anyone panic or try doing too much untill I get done with the lod switching because you'll probably run into all sorts of little issues.

[edit]
I wanted to explain what I have to do to get this switch working.
</font>
  • fix all lod problems in r1: done</font>
  • make r1 directory tree for liflist: done</font>
  • convert all r1 .lif to .pds: done</font>
  • take out all r1 entries one or two at a time: in progress</font>
  • reorganize new lods and enter into .LL with liflist one or two at a time: in progress</font>
  • run game after each change and cross fingers</font>
  • repeat all above for r2</font>
It's slow work. You don't want to do too many at once because there are sharing issues and other things to watch out for. Incase I need to backtrack or troubleshoot

Sorry I'm not done yet. Hope you guys aren't getting perturbed with me...

[ 29. May 2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon May 30, 2005 3:41 am

There are no deadlines for this so take all the time you need to do it [img]smile.gif[/img] Its done when its done.

The RGB thingy u explained answers alot for me. I only switched lod2 to lod3 on the excelsior and the vorcha. pretty red lod2 vorcha, and a pitch black excelsior LOL!. the lod3 textures are identical to the lod2 textures with only one exception, thier sizes. I thought by using the lod3 peo, and textures as lod2 it would save alot of resources. Just seems to be creating even more problems :/

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Mon May 30, 2005 3:17 pm

Actually Stress, I see a lot of problems in these folders. so many in fact, that It's hard to keep track of them all. More keep popping up all the time. The RGB problem is also related to the Blackout trouble. Set the RGB and FullAmbiant within the PEO to the same value Across the board:
This is vanilla HW PEO materials setting. Unless there's specific reasons to change these upper numbers, they should all be set this way for every lod. In HWSE just double click on the color swatch to reset.

[ 30. May 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Mon May 30, 2005 3:46 pm

OK. This is really starting to wear me down. I'm trying to remove lods but every time I do something I end up with a crash. XP won't write a comprehensive Debug text file and I'm getting REALLY PISSED about it! I "HATE" YOU BILL GATES!!! Can anyone tell me how to get XP to write a decent Debug file?

[edit] I found my problem....

[edit] Back on track. Hopefully I'll be done with r1 tonight. r2 should go quicker.

[ 30. May 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon May 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Originally posted by TheStressPuppy:
Nice try, but if u read above That file is nothing more than a text list. It doesnt do anything for the game at all if you change it.
It does as if you remove all the p1,p2,p3,derelicts,traders,r1 and r2 entries in the bigcontentsculled.txt file you get permanent texture corruption with the SoA mod.
Please tell me you didnt put the lod4 lifs into the lod0 folders! :eek: The lod4 textures are like a few pixels wide. No wonder it looks like u got corruption cause the lod4 textures have ZERO detail. Leave lod0 alone. Its lod2 that needs the lod3 peo, and textures put into. [/qb]
No I did not as if you look at the bigcontentsculled.txt file I have replaced the r1 and r2 texture entries ie. changed this r2/multiguncorvette/rl0/lod0/page0.lif entry in bigcontentsculled.txt to this r2/multiguncorvette/rl0/lod0/IMPGLO.LiF for each ship that is replaced and for each of the ships textures.

Besides removing the p1,p2,p3,traders and derelict entries in the txt file doesn't cause the game to crash as long as you don't try the sp part of HW with or without a mod.

maxdamage.

[ 30. May 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: maxdamage ]

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Tue May 31, 2005 10:57 pm

Question: What ships are sharing textures for r1?

I'm having trouble and debug isn't telling me what's wrong...again...

[edit] Found the problem...again...

I need a lod2 made for the r1/heavydefender. I tried to make one with HWEX but it won't work correctly. I'm afraid it will have to be made the hard way because of the turrets and barrels.

I've made several requests for lods and have heard nothing back. I "REALLY" need this one guys... please?

The other option would be to let me put my K'Vort in to replace it? :D

[ 31. May 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:10 am

Originally posted by Charvell:

I need a lod2 made for the r1/heavydefender. I tried to make one with HWEX but it won't work correctly. I'm afraid it will have to be made the hard way because of the turrets and barrels.

I've made several requests for lods and have heard nothing back. I "REALLY" need this one guys... please?
Charvell,use this program as it does what you are looking for!Creates the various lods for you.What about PeoAutoLodder_v1_1?
Here: http://www.thegamingunion.co.uk/users/f ... r_v1_1.zip

maxdamage.

[ 01. June 2005, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: maxdamage ]
ImageNFS:MW NFS:U2 NFS:C Graaaagh! hellkom
"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle-station"- Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movie Star Wars Episode 6:Return of the Jedi!
"I was elected to lead not read!" by Pres.Schwarzenegger in The Simpsons :The movie!

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:00 am

As Stress is the only modeller we have left, I don't think you're going to have much luck on this on, Charvell... :/

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:11 am

Auto_lodder won't work. It deletes the barrels/turrets and causes the game to crash. That's probably why Dolph only used lod0. I'll deal with it later. Right now I'm just going to put in a duplicate lod0/peo for testing.

By the way guys... I've got an update for you in the dev.

[edit] All problems posted in this thread were fixed except Mesh problems. Lods were created where there weren't any, textures were removed, EX was inserted along with a lod2, DFG was removed along with various folders and un-used textures, P slots were redone on several fronts to redirect missing PEOs, remove textures and disable MAD files. Default Ship was redone (shrunk) so it's not visible if ever called up.

[ 01. June 2005, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:01 pm

Time is our worst enemy charv in the modelling dept. Ill take a look at the HD mesh, and see what i can do with it. Ill more than likely have to make a new mesh for the lod2 model. That may take a while, cause Im working 12 hr shifts. The biggest problem i see is using the existing lod2 textures. For now use the existing lod0 model with lod2 textures for lod2.

The kvort option is looking mighty good right now :D

Other models needing lods...In case any aspiring modellers want to take a crack at em.

both motherships,
R1 Heavy defender,
r1 research ship,
any other model in there that doesnt have one [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01. June 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Return to “Homeworld Trek”