Who still plays Homeworld?

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:48 pm

Hi guys. There was a thread at Relic news a little while ago about your texture corruption problems and it got me thinking. I had an idea last night that might be an answer to it.

Have you removed entries from the original textures.ll file? If so then perhaps you've removed entries that are still being called, perhaps by hardcoding, and therefore you've got textures loading without memory alloaction (thus creating corruption regardless of how tightly you've managed your new textures). Why not try a new LL file that simply adds your new textures without removing any of the original entries? Even if you think I'm wrong it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Reason for me thinking this might be the problem; when I was working with HWC I carefully removed all of the redundant textures from the LL file and found that (a) it didn't improve texture memory usage because the game only drew resources for the PEOs it loaded and (b) it caused crashes in single player mode - clearly it was looking for something I'd removed. In the end I simply added my new texture entries to the original LL file without removing the old ones. The game worked fine after that and, combined with texture sharing, I got rid of all texture corruption.

Hope this helps.

[ 29. June 2005, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Durandel ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:02 pm

Actually, dolph came back with a solution for us. We are now running player vs. 7 CPU totally corruption free in the dev version. :D IIRC, the problem as suspected was duplicate names between the ships. That and wrongly reported sizes in the .ll

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:32 pm

Well that shot me out of the water, eh?! :D

Glad to hear you sorted it all out.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:01 am

Weve made tremendous progress since dolph helped fix the problems (not just with the corruption). A few new ships and some more bug hunts and we should have something for you..Reeeaaalll sssssoooooooonnnn [img]graemlins/eviltail.gif[/img]

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:58 pm

Originally posted by Charvell:
That "does" seem to be an issue. XP with it's "own" set of problems and then the graphics card issues on top of it makes a very difficult situation. Even in compatibility mode I "still" have issues.
I had to activate NT with Sp5 compatibility for both Hw and HW:C and they work perfect in OpenGL mode.Just some flickering in the beginning but as soon as you click on an option in either of the games and the flickering is gone which is good news to me [img]smile.gif[/img] !

Why is it that I can run UT in opengl mode without compatibility mode enabled but HW and HW:C require compatibility mode to be enabled so they can run in opengl?

maxdamage

[ 13. July 2005, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: maxdamage ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:38 am

I belive its cause HW used an older gl code (i could be wrong) Remember windows 2000, wasnt released, and the best graphic card was a voodoo 3 16 megger around the time when HW was released, and i dont think relic intended it to be run on NT4 ether. So no doubt theres problems with GL in 2k/xp. Compatability set to nt4 sp5 does fix the gl glitch. just curious as to why nt4, and not win9x?

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:13 am

IIRC because they developed the game on NT machines

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:39 pm

Still busy installing all my programs so I don't know when I'll be getting back with trying to get soa to not texture corrupt,etc...

maxdamage.

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:44 am

Um, dude? Already fixed...

Tech

Post by Tech » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:59 am

Your problem seemed to be solved, but if you still run into trouble with textures you may try one or all of the following:

- enhance textures sharing if possible

- reduce the use of team colors to lesser texture files (assumed that for each multi player color textures are blended with the chosen team colors and then loaded into a buffer)

- reduce count of image palettes (paletted textures): only one palette for one ship
>>> <A HREF="http://www.hwmods.de/index.html" TARGET=_blank>hwmods.de</A> <<<

Return to “Homeworld Trek”