Who still plays Homeworld?

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:15 am

Posting here as well. New DLs in Dev.

Corruption is dependent on the number of ships and resources the game has to load for a given map. What I'm seeing doesn't make sense to me. The LIFs are loaded before the game starts, as are the PEOs, however the more ships or players in game the more corruption there is. This tells me that the total number of textures the game uses is duplicated for the number of players. For every player there's a duplicate set of files being loaded. In essence, the games limit is being reached much quicker than I had first thought.

Here's one to think about. HWC uses a larger .LL file and more textures however the textures it uses are for the most part smaller than the ones HW uses.

[ 02. June 2005, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:26 am

HW/C also has a higher memory limit than HW does. (64 megs vs HW's 32 IIRC).

If what you say is true about each player loading thier own set of textures then something is definetly WRONG. The way i understand it (correct me if im wrong) is that each model "should" use the same set of textures, only the mesh is duplicated for each ship built and the only limit should be how much your video card can render.

If this is so then how is it possible for vanilla HW to load 6-8 players with no corruption, and they use more texture memory than the mod does! Is it possible its the size of the mesh's themselves (poly counts)? I hope not. If so the mod is in serious trouble.

I agree, and so does dolph that the main malfunction is in the r2 folder somewhere. The problem is where? Dolph mentioned this bit just before he left us. Still i think we should remove anything unused, and redundent. Putting the folders for all the slots in so hw doesnt call em up from the big file will more than likely help more than hurt.

We all spent 5+ years figuring how to get stuff into HW, and working, but i think its time we started learning to understand what makes the HW engine tick. Quite frankly im confused as hell.

My questions are.. How does HW call up its peos, and textures? and What exactly is the LL file for?

[ 02. June 2005, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:45 am

Maybe if you try putting the lod2 meshes (with lod0 textures) in the lod0 folders and see if it makes a difference.

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:20 pm

The .ll file is a database of textures and their sizes; the engine needs to know how big all the textures are so it can allocate texture memory appropriately.

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:00 pm

The r1, r2 folders are damn near empty with regards to total ammount of MBs in them compared to vanilla HW. The textures.ll file is EMPTY!!! There's so damn much room it stinks. The mod is WAY smaller than stock HW.

I found some errors in r1 "and" r2 but I fixed them and nothing changed. I put up a derelicts folder and nothing changed. I fixed the P slots and nothing changed. I removed all the btg, cursor, backgrounds and such and nothing changed. I added a gatherstatsfor.script to disable any loading or saving of stats from the P slots and nothing changed. I even experimented with lif sizes on select models and nothing changed.

[edit] I have concluded the problem is in the R slots. I think the next step should be to redo all the lod files to conform to HW specs and see what happens.

[edit] Not it....

[ 03. June 2005, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:35 am

Relic is probobly laughing thier asses off at us :/

So im guestimating we dropped the textures used from 20-ish MB's to about 18, and made it so nothing in the r1,2, p1,2,3, traders, etg, fenman, and derilicts isnt called up from the big file. Plus cleaned up the mod. Yet we still get this damn corruption issue no matter what we try. Hell, if we put nothing but green boxes in the mod would we still get corruption?! (this is my frustration talking).

Ok so im gonna take it that the corruption issue is absolutly unfixable due to something (what?) thats hardcoded. Few more things left to try. If that dont work then Oh well, we did our best.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:13 am

As far as I knew, many years ago when liflist was new, the LL file is to facilitate sharing of textures - it can be empty, but if a texture is in there, any ship can access it. So if you duplicate any textures, you can save a whole load of memory by only having one copy, and adding it to the LL file.

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:56 pm

"Shish!"

I need to rename a ton of PSDs, then run them all through again but what I'm going to have trouble with is redoing the PEOs because I don't know "which" materials need "what" setting. I'd be guessing. If I go ahead and redo the names and make PEOs again I suppose Stress or someone else can help in putting them back together again.

Stress. I hope you see this before you get too far along in fixing things. We need to rename a bunch of materials for several different ships. I'm working on a list of textures with duplicate names. I'll put them up when I get them done.

[ 06. June 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59 am

Would someone that would like to help
"please" go through this list,
find the duplicate names and post them
here for us to reffrence? In order from left to right:

Row 1
AdvanceSupportFrigate
AttackBomber
Carrier
CloakedFighter
CloakGenerator
DDDFrigate
Drone
GravWellGenerator
HeavyCorvette
HeavyCruiser
HeavyDefender
HeavyInterceptor
IonCannon
LightCorvette

Row 2
LightDefender
LightInterceptor
Mine
MinelayerCorvette
MissileDestroyer
Mothership
MultiGunCorvette
Probe
ProximitySensor
RepairCorvette
ResearchShip
ResourceCollector
ResourceController
SalCapCorvette
SensorArray
StandardDestroyer
StandardFrigate

[ 06. June 2005, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:53 am

Ok charv i am already ahead of you on this but in a different way. Im working on some major mesh fixes to the galaxy model as i type this, im already half done. i combined the 2 1/4 saucer textures into 1 single 256x128 half texture. yea i know that means lower res, but thats how it must be done. It dont look as bad as it sounds when viewed in game. I messed around with it and enhanced it some before i reduced them. it dont look much different than the old to me except..no annoying seems :D

But getting back to the texture naming this is what im doing with the galaxy... no more "bridge" bussard etc.. Im naming them "Galaxy01" Galaxy02" etc etc. So there will be no conflict with any other of the mods ships, name the textures starting with the ship name like what im doing with the galaxy. Unless it is an intentional shared texture. What im thinking is the bussards, impulse engines, and warp glows can be shared with pretty much all fed ships. so we only need 1 set of each. Ill be available for chat on this tommorow and tues.

[ 06. June 2005, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Return to “Homeworld Trek”