[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - First image of USS Defiant from "In the Mirror Darkly"

First image of USS Defiant from "In the Mirror Darkly"

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

Postby Pierce 2: The Sequel » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:49 am

Some of you may know that the next two episodes of Enterprise (after tonite's rather useless Orion episode) are going to take place in the so-called Mirror Universe, where the counterparts of the NX-01's crew will find the abandoned USS Defiant, the Constitution-class starship lost in the "real" Trek universe during the TOS Episode "Tholian Web." Well, we now have our first look at this new model of the Constitution-class:

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Postby Meurig » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:24 pm

I know someone who modelled parts of it. They said that the model is built to an extremely high level of detail so that the camera can get right up to the hull and the ship will still render alright, so expect shots skimming the hull in the episodes.
Meurig

Postby Charvell » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:06 pm

Post some links. I'd like to see where they lead. Thanks.

The movie refit was so detailed that the camera could actually get as close as 1/8th of an inch from the hull without any ill effects. It's suposed to be the most detailed model ever built and I don't think it has yet been topped.

[size="1"][ 16. April 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ][/size]
Charvell

Postby Meurig » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:41 pm

That was a physical model though, this isn't. It's unusual to have CG models to the detail level where getting so close is possible.
Meurig

Postby Pierce 2: The Sequel » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:08 pm

The fact that TMP's script called for people to be walking on the hull of the ship probably affected the decision on how much to detail it... ;)

The other thing to remember is that the TMP model was an ungainly huge thing, well larger than most SFX models. I'm sure the newer, smaller, model they built for TWOK wasn't nearly as detailed...

Postby Manticore » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:20 am

They built a new model for TWOK? I know that they repainted the old one, but given how much of a tight budget they were on, why would they build a new one?

To be honest, I'm not all that impressed with that render, but we'll see...
Manticore

Postby Pierce 2: The Sequel » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:10 am

So the ship could actually be seen maneuvering... the TMP model was just too large to deal with.

Postby TheStressPuppy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:59 am

The same 8ft physical model was used from ST:TMP up until TSFS. It was repainted twice. 1st for TWOK, then for TSFS, then they got rid of it. They built a smaller 6ft model of the 1701-a for ST:IV-VI (ST:V touched up, and re-used stock footage of the other movies for its scenes)

The TOS connie model mostly used for filming was an 11 foot model. However you need to understand filming techniques in the 60's were "primative" compared to late 70's to todays standards. Thats why the 11 footer looks so bad in the show.

Im kinda glad they stuck with the "classic" look for this ship. Tho she may look plain from a distance whos to say we cant see details up close.
TheStressPuppy

Postby Manticore » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:55 am

Lord Vorkosigan <i>does not</i> always get what he wants!

Let's be about it.
Manticore

Postby TheStressPuppy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:47 am

TheStressPuppy

Next

Return to Homeworld Trek