Question bout SoA

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

SgSpecial180

Post by SgSpecial180 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:06 pm

this is gonna be long, so bear with me. I know (as we all do) that the SoA mod (along with all other mods) is not designed to be played in single player mode, but it is possible to extract individual ships(the ship folder,.shp and .lod files) out of the mod and use them in single player mode without installing the whole mod, though this does cause some problems, such as when the ship fires, the game uses the default effects instead of the modded effects. any way the only ship that I have been succesfully able to rip and use through the entire game without it crashing is the peregrine which replaces the light interceptor. ok now heres my question. whenever i try to swap out any other type of ship, such as the galaxy class for a mdestroyer, the game gets all pissy and crashes before i can even start it. I dont understand why the game would allow me to use the peregrine to replace the light interceptor but not replace anything else. I want to be able to swap out a more powerful ship(such as the soveriegn for the repair corvette) than the peregrine, even though it is alot better than the standard homeworld ships. sometimes i edit the values on the peregrines to increase thier power but thats no fun because i think theres something wrong with a light interceptor(peregrine) bieing able to take out a heavy cruiser with one shot. I want to be able to use a capital ship like the sovereign or something. I was wondering if theres any way to get the other ships to work, or maybe if the game will only let the light interceptor be swaped out. if thats the case, is it possible to change all the values of the peregrine for example to the sovereigns values, and then replace the peregines texture files with those of the sovereign, thus turning the peregrine into a sovereign class ship and fooling the game into thinking the sovereign(formally peregrine) is still a light interceptor? im sorry if this is confusing. any help would be greatly appreciated oh yea....i hope i didnt piss off any of the mod teams by editing the peregrines values, if i did i apologize, i didnt mean to violate your work. thanx again

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:44 pm

As long as you don't publish your redone SoA to the world I think it's ok to mess around with it.
Someday, I'll own one of these biatches...:grinangel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:51 am

Have fun. Ive done it to every single SOA release that has come out. The only thing you can't do is publicly release it to the community.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:48 am

We dont recommend messing around with the SoA files, because its set up the way it is for a reason. However, IF u feel the absolute need to alter the mod files to experiment, curiousity, or whatever. Knock yerself out, but do so at your own risk. We wont be responsible for uncontrolled outburst, sleepless nights, or game crashs ;) As long as it stays on your puter and it isnt posted online.

SgSpecial180

Post by SgSpecial180 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:47 pm

oh im not gonna release anything, im just messing round with the files to get a better understanding how everything is put together. One more question, is there any way to fix the graphic distortion that happens when you play multiplayer with 2 or more AI players?

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:33 am

Its a known bug, its called texture corruption. it means the texture memory being used is more than the game engine can handle. The guys were still working on a fix last i checked. but i cant think of any way other than nerfing the existing textures to a lower resolution, and they are pretty low res to begin with.

Return to “Homeworld Trek”