SOA : not Weapons Effects

Discussions of various Star Trek ships and mods for Homeworld

Moderators: Redragon, TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix

Lemmi

Post by Lemmi » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:47 pm

Hello,
1.The Phaser-, torpedo and shields effects does not function to, in the Mod "Sacrifice OF Angels version 0.95a". I see only lines in black white. 2. I can play not with opengl. can someone help???

has AMD athlon 2200+ and Geforce3.
Homerworld 1.05 German
Windows xp
Detatonator Driver 45.33

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:39 pm

For OpenGL, you need to run Homeworld in compatibility mode. In your Homeworld folder, right-click on the "homeworld.exe" file and select "Properties." You should see a tab somewhere in the resulting box that says "Compatibility." Clicking on that should give an option to run the program in compatibility mode; once you turn that on, you'll have various compatibility options. The one you want for Homeworld is "Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5" (or it might just be "SP5," I forget).

As for your effects problem, that one I'm not sure on. The standard first question is whether you've installed SOA on a fresh install of Homeworld that's never had another mod in it (or alternately whether you're ABSOLUTELY sure that you removed any traces of any other mod from your install, but fresh installs are usually easier).

[ 30. September 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

Lemmi

Post by Lemmi » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:22 pm

yes is a fresh installed Homeworld.
i have not installed another mods.
I have installed SOA Version 0.90
there it goes.
but i will play 0.95a.

thakns for the help with OpenGl

[ 30. September 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Lemmi ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:23 pm

That black and white thingie is most likely texture corruption at work. It's a problem we've been struggling with for some time. It mostly happens when you play as the Federation, so try starting a skirmish map as the Dominion against one CPU and see if there is corruption there. If there isn't, you can try playing against two and so on. You've got to experiment a bit to see what settings you can use without getting corruption, as it seems to be individual how much and when you get it...

Lemmi

Post by Lemmi » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:12 am

ok, i have with one CPU Enemy.
the mod is play correctly, all effects function.

when come a new verson of SOA?

thx

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:00 pm

I'm gonna have to leave that question open for Dolph, assuming he sees this at all, as I don't have the answer...

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:09 pm

As far as i know dolph, and crew are working on the last HW1 release of SoA. Now that the SDK is here it may take a bit longer than expected. We need to find out what we can do with the SDK.

Everyone here has experienced the same problems as you. Its called texture corruption, and Its very frustraiting. Its caused by going over HW1's hardcoded texture memory limit of 32 megs. All homeworld mod teams including ours have pulled our hair out to try find a way around it. The only thing i can suggest is what was said earlier. experiment with your settings untill you find a combination that works

This is a temporary solution you can try, but it has a drawback. Edit all of the Lod files so that only lod0 is loaded. The drawback is you wont have lod's. Game preformance, and framerates will drop as a result. I belive if you search the forum you will find a lod editing tutorial (its a simple text edit)

Return to “Homeworld Trek”