I'm asking for help!

A mod that makes the Raiders a playable race along with lots of totally new ships to boot!

Moderator: Captain Pierce

Postby Durandel » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:58 pm

Now, this does not happen often but I've decided to ask for help. I think my request should be aimed at Commander Jones as it releated to modelling.

There are a few things in my mod that I lacked the skill to do. I've stopped work on the mod, but those things keep niggling at me all the same. If I could fix them then I'd release a new version. However, I'm going travelling as of the 1st week in Sept and any changes need to be made before then.

Problem 1:
The Onslaught mothership is the massive Hyperspace Inhibitor from HW. It consists of eight huge "planks", each set at 45 degress from each other to create a wide spaced ring. In my mod each plank is an individual component. I used the MEX to rotate each plank and (with a lot of effort) rigged the MEX values for collision etc. Unfortunately it's never worked quite as I'd like. What I really need is models (inc lods) that are actually in position already. Can you help?

Problem 2:
The big problem I've had with HWC models is that all sub-objects get weird shading when saved with HWSE. In some models this is unavoidable (turrets, etc) but on one ship it's particularly bad and totally unessesary. My Ion Drone Frigate is based on the Taidan Colony ship in HWC. It has 3 sub-objects, which are identical "boxes" mounted on the main ship model. Could you combine the ship LODs into single objects?

Assistance would be much appreciated.

EDIT:

Oh. One more problem re animation, which I know CP has dealt with in the past.

Problem 3:
My Ramming Frigate is the JunkYardDawg from HW. It uses the original HW animation sequence. I fiddled about with it to make it work OK in the Ramming Frigate slot, but it does not work properly. The Jaws dont open before charging the enemy ship, they open after impact.

I know I'm laying out all my problems here, and that you've no reason to help, but I thought I'd ask. Onslaught is pretty good as it stands and none of the problems I've mentioned are show stoppers. I won't be in any way offended if you guys can't help.

[size="1"][ 17. August 2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Durandel ][/size]
<a href="http://www.dreamlauncher.co.uk/onslaught/index.htm" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Durandel

Postby Commander Jones » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:07 pm

Yeah I can probably help with your troubles. I seem to be "fix'it bitch" now days anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Send me your material including textures and I'll take a look at it. And maybe I can get Captain Pierce to look at the mex and mad issues.

commanderjones@mchsi.com
Commander Jones

Postby Captain Pierce » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:14 pm

I'll take a look at the Ramming Frig, but I think what you may be encountering there is a trigger problem. The RF's animation isn't triggered until it hits. But I'll see what I can do. ;)
Captain Pierce

Postby Durandel » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:49 pm

Thanks both of you.

CJ, the files are on the way.

CP, the problem is that there are (I think) 4 animations set for the original Ramming Frigate, but only two for the JunkYardDawg which don't match up exactly. The 4 original animations do include a pre-ramming sequence (or, confusingly, two).

[size="1"][ 18. August 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Durandel ][/size]
Durandel

Postby Durandel » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:33 pm

Hey guys are you there? Sorry to be a pest, but I'll be going travelling for 2 months as of next week and will be without a computer from the end of Thursday.

I realise that you're under no obligation to help at all, let alone work to my timescales. I'd just like to get this wrapped up before I go, one way or the other. Please could you let me know if you've been able to make any progress?
Durandel

Postby Captain Pierce » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:35 am

In the case of the .mad, I think it's that you're using the jaw-opening animation as "RamCollapse," which is what the Ramming Frigate uses after it hits something. Only thing I can suggest is trying it as AftBurnIgnite or AftBurnFiring (I would guess maybe the latter would be better) and then having the jaw-closing anim as RamCollapse.
Captain Pierce

Postby Durandel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:55 am

It's not that simple - I have tried. The JYD animation sequences need to be broken up & tweaked to match the Ramming Frigate animation events. I do not have the skill to do this.
Durandel

Postby Captain Pierce » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:14 am

Looking at things, I'm not even sure the "AftBurn" sequences are USED by the game... :/
Captain Pierce

Return to Raiders Ascendant