dead forums

A mod that makes the Raiders a playable race along with lots of totally new ships to boot!

Moderator: Captain Pierce

salute_20

Post by salute_20 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:10 pm

Any actual Battleship would have taken out the battle wagon in a second. It had no defences except it's fighters. B5 beat it, although it wasn't destroyed, with almost no trouble despite the fact they were armed only with weak point-defence guns at that time.

I'd say the Turanics are closest to the mediteranian Pirate Kingdoms from the 15 and 16 hundreds. Small groups, disorganized but with a mutual enemy in the authorities. Equipped with whatever they could steal. Succesfull despite being outgunned and outequipped. And they, too, fought for anyone who would pay them if they thought the risk was worth it.

SyntaxVorlon

Post by SyntaxVorlon » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:37 am

I'm sure if someone actually took the time to read a real history of the Kushan Dynasty and their downfall, you would probably see a lot of the same names and themes that ended the real Kushan empire. The real Kushan were buddhists, so I doubt any Kushan destroyer fleets or armies will be tromping their way into Afganistan any time soon.
The Turanics are probably based in some group that took part in their downfall. As the main invaders were muslims from arabia, there may have been nomadic raiders involved, though this is unknown, though it is known that Turks were particularly infuential in that region at the time. Not to mention being particularly nomadic.

RL~Assassin~

Post by RL~Assassin~ » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:15 pm

are you serious???? there really were a Kushan???? and all that other junk??

SyntaxVorlon

Post by SyntaxVorlon » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:27 pm

Yup, the Kushan were pre-Islamic Afganis, then the muslims moved in. A buddhist kingdom, where all those statues came from that they were shooting.
I don't know about all of it, but a few other elements are from that area. Talas Crossroad is an allusion to the battle of Talas River, between the Imperial chinese and the Turks.
If you listen to the battle music there are a lot of percussion from the region, and winds, vocal is arabian I think, African drums were part of it too.

RL~Assassin~

Post by RL~Assassin~ » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:24 pm

and i thought i was a history buff, what are you an archeologist!!!?? lol

man thats crazy stuff, just crazy

SyntaxVorlon

Post by SyntaxVorlon » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:36 pm

I took a humanities course in HS and read the cartoon history of the universe part 3 Image

------------------
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:07 pm

I have nothing useful to add to this thread, but I moderate this forum, so just try to stop me! Image

RL~Assassin~

Post by RL~Assassin~ » Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:42 pm

dead again...

AND i wanted to show my new sig

------------------
Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood. Paid in advance. - Sebastian Lee,"The Rising Tide" AFC 271(Andromeda)
"Never interupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."-Napolean Bonapart

SyntaxVorlon

Post by SyntaxVorlon » Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:02 am

Too many spaces, get rid of the space between the image and the words, maybe even squish the image a bit.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:21 am

Plus, it's a bit all over the place... Andromeda, Homeworld, Napoleon... I would think two of those three would be plenty at once... Image

Return to “Raiders Ascendant”