[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - Screenshots!

Screenshots!

A mod that makes the Raiders a playable race along with lots of totally new ships to boot!

Moderator: Captain Pierce

Postby Captain Pierce » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:37 am

Last I'd heard, you'd only played it a bit--wasn't sure if you'd gotten to the Raider bits yet. Image

I seem to recall we've been round and round about this before, but I'll hit the high points again for the new crowd. Image

The Raiders having the Autogun (which is in the Defender slot, if anyone doesn't know this yet) is semi-canon, and is based on a mission that was scripted for HW and released in the so-called "Raider's Retreat" demo, but that didn't make it into the final release of the game. In this mission, your goal was to destroy two Raider carrier groups before they reached the protection of a LARGE group of Autoguns presumably orbiting a Raider planetoid of some sort. This, IMO, makes the appearance of the Autogun in the Raider lineup anything but "mysterious."

In Cataclysm, EVERYBODY has energy cannon. The Kushan and Taiidan have them in the opening fight, the Somtaaw get them from capturing a Taiidan ship (though, if the Kushan have them, why don't the Somtaaw anyway?), the Beast get them probably by infecting that Taiidani Heavy Cruiser in Mission 4--and yet, somehow, the Raiders don't have them. That has to mean something. God only knows what, but it has to mean something. Image In this case, it means that the Raiders in RA won't have them either.

Now, the obvious counter-argument to this that I can already hear Tumbleweed making is, "Well, the Raiders don't have Autoguns in Cataclysm either." Which I can't dispute. The Autoguns are there in the cataclysm.big file, but don't get used--by anybody. Since nobody has them, the Raiders not having them doesn't count. Image That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Image
Captain Pierce

Postby Sjet vs. Kerrigan » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:22 am

The Somm-Taaw don't have mainstream Kushan technology because travelling haflway across the galaxy in one ship with all the surviving members of your species, fighting off a galactic superpower bent on your destruction makes you petty and prone to factionalization. Heck, if I fought a six-month war for my race's survival, I'd try to cheat most of my breathren out of every opportunity I could!

Image Image Image
Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Postby adrian shepard » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:56 pm

if i was one of the only 60,000 of my race, i wish i looked good, girls would not be plentyful like they are today... and even now you need to fight a war to impress one(unless she's drunk Image )
adrian shepard

Postby Meurig » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:24 pm

And the award for 'Stupid comment of the day' goes to......
Meurig

Postby Steelviper » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:28 pm

Nice stuff Image

------------------

Visit the where reality gets twisted...
Steelviper

Postby Captain Pierce » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:17 am

That would be 600,000, adrian, assuming that you managed to salvage all the cryo trays... Image

And SvK has an excellent point, all the in-fighting between kiiths on Hiigara seemed a tad ridiculous to me after all they'd been through. I imagine BD was trying to say something about human nature, but they may have taken it a bit far...
Captain Pierce

Postby Tumbleweednpaper » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:58 am

But aren't energy cannons more powerful which would result in an unfair fight?
Tumbleweednpaper

Postby Captain Pierce » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:32 am

Captain Pierce

Postby SyntaxVorlon » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:33 am

SyntaxVorlon

Postby Captain Pierce » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:44 am

Well, to my way of thinking, after spending the last century or so working together to build the mothership, and considering there are only 600,000 and change of them (cryotrays plus MS crew, which can't be an insubstantial number Image ) against Sajuuk knows how many Imperialist Taiidan, Turanic Raiders, T-Mat, and what-have-you, even a group as generally bitchy as the Kushan might manage a tad more unity than Cataclysm shows. I'm mostly setting the Raiders Ascendant story away from Hiigara so I don't have to deal with the politics as much, though they do play into the backstory a bit... Image
Captain Pierce

PreviousNext

Return to Raiders Ascendant