Where are we?

A mod that makes the Raiders a playable race along with lots of totally new ships to boot!

Moderator: Captain Pierce

Commander Jones

Post by Commander Jones » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:36 pm

Just though I'd post something since there hasn't been something posted in awhile. Captain Pierce and I have been working on Trek ships lately for various mods and can be found on the Star Trek Mods part of the forum.

Raiders Ascendant is on hold for the time being although it was mostly complete. Don't know if we will get back to it. Our future modding plans are up in air right now.

Just thought I'd post a note about the status of RA and what we are doing.

See ya in the Trek Forums. Course most are already there.

CJ

[ 19. July 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Commander Jones ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:53 am

[Clinton]

Ah am not here.

[/Clinton]

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:11 pm

A shame. RA is inventive, and so one of my favourites.

I would like to see a Hw2 version (not a port, a new-engine remake), even though I know full well what Pierce's reaction to that will be ;)

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:41 am

All right, then, say it with me:

My original statement on this has always been that RA was made from a certain state of mind, the HW modding state of mind that you had to invent an entire shiplist to make a mod. That influenced our entire way of thinking on the mod.

We had considered making a Raider-based HW2 mod, tentatively titled "Raider Exodus," showing a group of Raiders and Imperial Taiidani making a decision to leave the Hiigaran sphere of influence before they were wiped out completely, 40 or 50 years "After Hiigaran Landfall." This was the mod that we had in mind when we issued the call for remade HW models that some few may remember.

The problem we ran into was, the more we looked at the changes HW2 made to our assumptions about the nature of the HW universe, the less we liked the HW universe. Let's face it, the storyline of HW2 was bollocks. Or pants, or some other Britishism that I'm not entirely sure I'm using right. [img]tongue.gif[/img] What the hell was all that nonsense about "FarJump" cores, anyway?!?

So, as our enthusiasm for the HW universe deflated, so has our enthusiasm for further projects.

As for finishing RA, well, that's rooted more in mundane problems, mostly the fact that CJ can't get team colors to work no matter what he tries. Quite frankly, the shiplist is complete, and there are no further major bugs... maybe we should have called 0.7 our "1.0" release...

(Now, please excuse me while I switch browsers to Firefox... ;)
<a href="http://www.trekmods.com/" target="_blank"> Image</a>

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:31 pm

I know quite a bit about applying team colours having put them on all ships in my mod. If you decide to continue with RA please feel free to run the problem past me.

BTW, your "Britishisms" are perfect; no problem there.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:41 am

That's good to hear; "pants," in particular, has taken a long time to learn... :D

More seriously, the problem is that our team colors simply refuse to show up. Everything looks just like it does on Relic .lif's, but the layers seem to be completely ignored by the game... :confused:

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:51 pm

Have you made sure (for each texture) that the areas of the TEX being masked behind COLs 1 & 2 are greyscale? Also, that the tone of the greyscaled areas are mid grey?

Anyway, here's my quick guide to team colour preparation of a PhotoShop file.

"Magic Wand" the tranparent area of COL1 using 0 tolerance, then "select similar", then "select inverse", then switch to the TEX layer and copy, create new layer and paste. Now convert the new layer to greyscale, alter brightness & contrast as required to give it a nice dull grey tone and then merge the new layer with TEX. Now repeat this entire process for COL2. Finally check the layer names, make sure that COL1 & COL2 are set to "overlay" mode and save the PSD for LifList conversion. Job done. Try and keep the tone of grey consistent between the textures as it affects the colouring. Note that the exact same textures may produce different colour results at different LODs.

QUICK USA GUIDE TO PANTS AND BOLLOCKS

Use "Pants" wherever you might otherwise use "Crap" to describe a measure of quality. Emphasise the "P" when using this in conversation.

Use "Bollocks" as a direct replacement for "Bullshit", except when refering to the excrement of a Bull.

[ 24. July 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Durandel ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:07 pm

Thanks for the tutorials. :D

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:04 pm

"What's a 'wanker' John?"

"I'm not quite sure, Eric, but I think it's some kind of jerk."

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:24 am

*sigh*

I feel obliged to make a Pink Floyd reference at this point, but y'all wouldn't get it anyway... :(

Return to “Raiders Ascendant”