Villians

Written some fiction? Wanna participate in a boardwar? Wanna read some fiction! Heres your place!

Moderator: InocPrime

Calavan

Post by Calavan » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:15 am

What do you think makes the best villain? I'm just gonna leave that as the question. Post honestly about what traits you like best in villians in what you write and read. Feel free to include your favorite villain and where he/she is from as well. Oh, and also tell what traits you don't like to see in a villain.

Aurek

Post by Aurek » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:39 am

I really liked Darth Vader. He was tall, imposing, menacing. The suit design was excellent and the voice was great. He seemed to exude a constant threat of power and imminent violence.

He's just damn cool.

Raj Athen from the Runelords series was also quite good. Someone who started out with good intentions but eventually got lost along the way and ended up convincing themselves they were right through their own power.

Cracker Jack

Post by Cracker Jack » Wed May 05, 2004 3:18 am

In contrast, my favorite type of villian, is the cultured one, the charismatic one. Subtle, smart, and still evil, but charming after a fashion.

Even better is when they were a hero at some point, but have some tragic flaw in their past, which brought around their fall from grace.

Now that tragic flaw/post-heroic thing also leaves the door open for redemption, which, when properly done can be a very moving and powerful part of a story.

As for specific villians... I think that Gerrald Tarrant from the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman, especially book 1, fits this description very well.

Conversly, redeemed villians are always my favorite heroes, there just always seems to be alot more depth to their characters that way.

There's more to being evil than black clothing or spiky armor (also black), an evil voice and a certain taste for cruelty.

Pos_21

Post by Pos_21 » Wed May 05, 2004 4:18 am

Proper application of the term "N00b" also helps any Villian or Hero's aura.

Short of that, I pretty much agree with CJ.

A villian that very easily could have smashed the good guy(s), but was to lazy to do so... now that would be cool [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Xiggy

Post by Xiggy » Wed May 05, 2004 7:27 am

The best Villian would be the one that from his point of view is doimng the thing he believes is right. Or the villian was actually sorrowful for teh actions he has taken but he rationalizes it by saying "It had to be done".

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed May 05, 2004 4:56 pm

Or how about if the villian is regretful, but goes with the "I've gone too far to turn back now"

AkiraRulez

Post by AkiraRulez » Wed May 05, 2004 8:31 pm

Best villian i saw was a villian who you see... and when he does something good... Its just doesnt fit him...

Like Goeth in Schindlers List.... when he tries to "pardon" ppl... at the end he sees it just doesnt fit him...

So in short... a villian who looks stupid when doing good

<i>"Even darkness cannot hide from God"</i>

InocPrime

Post by InocPrime » Wed May 05, 2004 8:37 pm

I like revenge villians, because when created properly, the author takes you to the point where the now villian sets off towards becoming the villian. It makes you sympathetic, and encourages you to more fully explore the nuances of the plot.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Fri May 07, 2004 5:47 pm

id say the Teletubies [img]graemlins/eviltail.gif[/img] j/k

no really id agree with Vader

[ 07. May 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Darth1o9 ]

AkiraRulez

Post by AkiraRulez » Sun May 09, 2004 1:40 pm

btw... does a moose count?

Return to “Fiction”