Modelling again

Showcase your high poly, low poly, finished, wip and renders right here for all to see!

Moderator: theblessedsheridan

TheStressPuppy

Modelling again

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:21 pm

After a loooong recess from the mod scene. Ive fired up my 3dsmax again.

Ok the model im building this time is... You guessed it, yet ANOTHER version of the TOS constitution. People keep asking me why i keep rebuilding the same models over, and over again. 1st answer i can say is i really LIKE this ship. 2nd which explores the reason why we model to begin with. Remember when plastic modelling was in its heyday? You built a particular model you liked. You finish it, and think hmmm this looks awsome, but.. you thought you could do a better job a 2nd time around. So you do it, and think...Hmmmm ive learned alot more skills since i built this the last time lets try it again...., and again,...and yet again.

Hence is my story with this ship. It is an ongoing project that i can complete, but never "finish". There will almost always be something that i think i can do better later on down the road. Those familiar with my HW, and SFC mods have seen the last version of this ship i made. Unfortunetly for me my drive fried, and i didnt back up the original max file, and psd's. So insted of reverse engineering an old SFC model, im building a new one. There are many new tricks i learned in both modelling, and texturing. The difference between the old, and the new is gonna be quite a few thousand polys The Saucer alone is going to be well over 3000. (2850ish as it is now) While that is low poly to rendering modelers it is quite high for any sort of in game model, and this is just the saucer section! Im predicting a final poly count of 15,000-20,000. Brutal honesty im not limiting myself to a set poly count like i used to, because this model is a test of new methods for me. It is not intended to be imported into any sort of game. Tho i can certainly try to import it into one.

I am also building this as a "solid" mesh as well. In otherwords no polys intersecting through one another, and no open faces like the old school homeworld models. This ship is gonna be sealed tight lol. This of course jacks poly counts up through the roof as well. I will use optimizing tricks on her as long as that optimization doesnt break up the model.

I know some of you veteran modellers will prolly laugh at what im doing, but hey how will i learn unless i do?

Heres some WIP shots. I still have the impulse engines to mesh, on and boolian. Then i can start on another section of the model. I am meshing parts separetly then merging, and boolianing them together for the final model.
Attachments
Saucer2.jpg
Saucer1.jpg
How can you alter one side of a bargain? baltar
When there is no "other" side...You missed the whole point of the war. The Imperious Leader

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:31 pm

TheStressPuppy wrote: I know some of you veteran modellers will prolly laugh at what im doing, but hey how will i learn unless i do?

Nothing wrong with that.I've given making 3d models a break and make ones that come from a model kit bought from a model shop instead.Just finished my 3rd star wars model. :)

:Max:

bzb

Post by bzb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:00 pm

Nice to see you here :)

Put it in Battlefield 2 and i'll be impressed!
Cheese is evil.

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:12 pm

bzb wrote:Nice to see you here :)

Put it in Battlefield 2 and i'll be impressed!
I could always take pics of the 2 recent Star Wars models and post them here but thats all I can do with them.

:Max:

bzb

Post by bzb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Thinking about it there is a SW mod for BF2142 http://www.firststrikemod.com/ and 2142 has Titan mode, where by essentially you fight your way onto a ship and destroy from the inside.
Cheese is evil.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:36 pm

I personally have no interest in modding BF2, or 2142. However if someone else wishes to import the model ill be more than happy to release the mesh to them when it is complete. Why would anyone want a 20k+ poly model in such a buggy game anyway? lol. Even if it wasnt buggy it would be a slide show unless you have gods own computer. We'll see if 2142 lives up to all the hype (bf2 sure didn't IMO).

Im more interested in how ST: Legecy is gonna pan out. Im not holding my breath. Recent ST games (among other genre's) have been pure crap. Im most certainly gonna wait to see the communitys reaction before i waste money on this one.

If all else ill just switch over to render modelling. I always wanted to build that million poly ubership :D.

bzb

Post by bzb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:49 pm

TheStressPuppy wrote:I personally have no interest in modding BF2, or 2142. However if someone else wishes to import the model ill be more than happy to release the mesh to them when it is complete. Why would anyone want a 20k+ poly model in such a buggy game anyway? lol. Even if it wasnt buggy it would be a slide show unless you have gods own computer. We'll see if 2142 lives up to all the hype (bf2 sure didn't IMO).
TBH there is a serious lack of good modellers in the BF2 world, its almost like HW was when 3rd party mods started, plenty of work, few people to do it.
BF2 polys... and i assume 2142 read like
Vehicles Rec. Max. Polygon count 1P-cockpit poly count
Class 0, i.e. Buggies and civilian vehicles 4000 incl. integrated Kit parts in the mesh Integrated with original mesh
and texture

Class 1, i.e. Hummer or Attack Heli. Airplane 5500 incl. integrated Kit parts in the mesh 1000 (Vehicles with entire
interior could use up to 2000, i.e. Hummer)

Class 2, i.e. Tank 6000 incl.integrated Kit parts in the mesh 1000

Class 3, i.e. AA-Vehicles Or Transport Heli 7000 incl. integrated Kit parts in the mesh 1000

Class 4, i.e. LCAC (Hovercraft) 8000 incl. integrated Kit parts in the mesh 1000

However the Titans in 2142 must break that by a lot.

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:30 pm

Cool

noomi

Re: Modelling again

Post by noomi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:49 am

Well, texturing is proving to be a major pain in the ass :| but Im slowly gettin there. Here's another rener I did :fist:
imran

Return to “3D Showcase Forum”