[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - downloading the mod...

downloading the mod...

Moderator: Mr Gloomy

Postby Meurig » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:49 pm

You've got some nerve.
Meurig

Postby Xericon » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:15 am

I have to agree slightly with MR G on saying that the only people that seem to appreciate what he's doing are people who mod too...I helped mod on the (now dead or strabgly for life I suppose) T-Mat mod...and it is no picnic...You aslo have to remember that all these mods are FREE...I mean if someone just came and gave you a free car would you turn round and tell them that it should have this...or that...or you don't like the color...not unless your pretty screwed up...

My advice...shut up now before you get the whole mod community pissed off...it's not smart...
Xericon

Postby Mr Gloomy » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:04 pm

OK Stormbornchild, not only do you acuse me of 'no common sense' but now your calling me stupid...thanks, I'm sure I should just except such a gracious, friendly comment on board and progress with the mod accordingly like some hampster in a ball doing tricks for others. Well here's a friendly, stress-free comment for you...UP YOURS!!!

I trust that such a comment is not to much to comprehend since you sound so clued-up as to the work required for modding and you also sound pretty clued-up on real life too. Admittedly I'm being harse right now but you're just being an arse who can't apologies and doesn't have the faintest clue as to commom sense or manners. Oh yes, I am taking it too seriously but when you consider how much work i've put into the mod, the amount of spare, personal time, the willingness to show everyone 'MY OWN' personal work and ideas, you are just being a pain in the arse. With comments like yours do you think I should update the mod progress and let people know or should I just keep it to myself? I could quite easily keep all the work to myself which I now have to consider since I can't stand ungrateful, ignorant people such as yourself.

Don't get me wrong, perhaps I'm over-reacting to comment like...

'whenever you start something you dont do your write upe before it evan finished
lol
thats just stupid'

Consider this, how about I finish everything off in just a few days and make a shite release for people to bitch at, would that be any better? I could make a release and expect no gratitude and then work through the whole lot again from stratch since the release was rushed, sounding any better to you? I could also make a personal release, just for you since your such a grateful fan, sounding better?

At the end of the day, you're right I should'nt get stressed, your not worth it. Oh, and I am 'sincere' when I say I'm sorry if I have been too harsh but it looks as though you don't even check you comments before typing them...they are offensive and nieve. When someone has spent there own time to make something for free for others, what right do you have to be throwing such callous comments around...and you call yourself a fan!?! I am touched that you call yourself a fan but I think fans shouldn't act that way, its just not done. I've explained that I'm busy in real life and this mod means nearly nothing to me when compared to friends, family, life and all those other little things. Hell, the concepts of manners and gratefulness are far more important to me than some silly mod.

I am doing this mod mainly for myself, that is a fact I have stated many times. If I were to do what you suggest and finish the mod completely, that will take considerable time, which I just don't have. I could finish the whole thing and then get strewed by losing the whole thing in one go...does that sound wise? What sounds wise to me is progress bit by bit through the mod, create back-ups and portfolio material, then carry on with the rest of the mod. By working on my portfolio in such a manner I not only back-up my work, I show obvious progression in skills and technical expertise. Your suggestion of trying to finish the entire mod in one go is very unwise and I have come from a background of work that can prove this many time over. Like with any important work (computer work that is), you do not just rush through it without back-ups and my portfolio serves such a purpose. If your going to be so unpatient, rude and pretend to be some sort of comic genius by going 'lol' all the time, please do not share any more comments in this forum unless that are actually constructive.

I apologies if this has been too harsh but I can imagine the sort reply I will recieve from the rant. I have tried my best to explain why I have been working on the mod in a particular way but this seems to be getting lost on you. For the sake of no more further unnecessary comments I will try and move the mod along...but, I will not be doing it for the likes of you Stormbornchild or anyone else. This mod is personal and linked to me and the original teams members of the mod (oh, and the DA team) so therefore you'll just have to hold your breath for the next release.

Mr Gloomy:) - If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it!!!

P.S. I can say unpleasant things here cos its my mod ;)
Mr Gloomy

Location: Croydon, Surrey, England...Earth and a universe all to myself

Postby Crook » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:08 pm

It's a shame that I can only back Cam 100%........ because he's sooooooooooooooooooo in the right.

BTW, has anyone ever offered to do a high poly version of a DS ship?

[size="1"][ 14. July 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Crook ][/size]
Crook

Postby stormbornchild » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:44 pm

ok ok
sorry

i woulnt know a thing about modding or real life
(this is not sarcasm)

[size="1"][ 14. July 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: stormbornchild ][/size]
stormbornchild

Postby stormbornchild » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:00 pm

"Consider this, how about I finish everything off in just a few days and make a shite release for people to bitch at, would that be any better? I could make a release and expect no gratitude and then work through the whole lot again from stratch since the release was rushed, sounding any better to you? I could also make a personal release, just for you since your such a grateful fan, sounding better?"

that not what im saying but ohwell
ill umble ill stumble ill fall

its your mod
im just trying to point out a fact and you not getting it

(i dont want you to make an arse job of it i want you to do it the best as possible sadly your not clueing in)

i also promise to zip my mouth shut from here on in (intill something goes completly wrong then laf ye arse off)

p.s. keep up the good work :D
stormbornchild

Postby stormbornchild » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:07 pm

stormbornchild

Postby hezie99 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:18 pm

hezie99

Postby Mr Gloomy » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:10 pm

First off, I would like to request to the TGU team that this topic be discontinued/closed. From a general question topic as...

'downloading the mod...'

it has turned into a failing argument with stormbornchild who is of course continuously correct on every issue brought up in this fine, TGU forum. Perhaps I exaggerate your all-knowing opinions on topics like this one but I really can't be bothered any more (although I am still disturbed by your terrible arguments for your side).

Since I have time right now, I should be working on the mod, but because I sit here with my pride scared and torn, I will thus continue and shed light on your evil ways and try and analyse your masterful use of words and your cunning arguement...Here goes...

Quote1:
'(why he dosent complete the mod then do his profile last, instead of makeing a little bit of the mod, makeing profile, finishing the mod, then haveing to go back to his profile to chainge things that hes chainged to smooth out gameplay :mad: i dont know :mad: but i have no say, but i do have one thing he dosent common sence)'

Quote translations:

'Profiles' = portfolios
'Makeing' = making
'Chainge' = change
'haveing' = having
'dosent' = doesn't

Mr Gloomy's analysis...

Errr, what? In the line...
'why dosent he release what hes got i know it would keep me happy and then resume his profile'
You almost presume that the mod I'M making in my own time and with my own effort is to please you and you alone. You also forget that my portfolio is far more important than this mod or this arguement for that fact (I'm wasting my own time, I know). If I were to release 'what I've got' then the impression and impact of the mod is going to be pretty poo really. Christ, do you see professional games companies releasing things before they're finished (ok, so I can name quite a few ;) ). While some may do, at least you can still call them games in the long run. And for all those games developers who have released games prematurely, they have suffered due to the numerous bugs and faults attached to the ideals of releasing a game 'to damn early' (Enter the Matrix' anyone!).

Now, if I was to complete the mod first and forget about the portfolio until the mod was complete, what progress will I show to anyone how sees it. I'm no pro, lets get that strait, I learn as I go and I'm proud the show my work so it can be accessed, critised and THEN, worked on. Do you think the DS mod is the only thing I'm going to put in my portfolio? I've got bucket-loads of other material I have to sort before I even consider showing my portfolio. The real world is vast and f***ing scary so I want to be prepared. While age is in most cases just a number, you're just 15 while I'm...errr...24 (ouch) so I'm trying my best to get my self sorted with the more important things, like life!

Now, as to your point of finishing the mod before the portfolio, well, that's not an option and so you shouldn't be pestering me. What you suggest is that I finish the mod, then do my portfolio, well sorry life isn't that simple. In many jobs and other life-linked things, you'll have to do more than one thing at a time, this mod and my portfolio are an example. To keep things simple I am working on my portfolio and the mod at the same time because that's the only way I'm going to finish either one before I'm 30!!! Unless you're in my shoes, you won't understand why that is but I'm sure there are a few million peeps in this world with the same dilema...a bugger, isn't it!

This is isn't a case for common sense or being lazy, I just don't have the time or arms to stretch myself that far. So, I will continue to work on the mod and my portfolio, much to your discust, and continue with the terrible knowledge that I am being thought of as a person lacking 'Common Sense'.

Quote 2:
'hmm sadly homeworld is dieing
(the community)
but luckily its makeing way for
HOMEWORLD2'

While this quote is rather dull and unimportant to this rant of mine, I must stress one of the reasons why the community might be dying. I've noticed many mod teams come and go but I have also noticed that the rude, ungrateful ones clinging on to their select chunks of crap diologue, remain to pest a different team. In my experience of modding, one of the key reasons I would kick it all in is due to groups of gits pissing me off with clueless, rude, hypocritical comments whenever there are no new screen shots released everyday. Please, please, remember that all the mod teams here and elsewhere are making mods for free, in their own time and with no official paper work (legal or otherwise) from the original games developers.

Quote 3:
'lol

lol

im sorry gloomy but your stessing yourself out

lol

whenever you start something you dont do your write upe before it evan finished
lol
thats just stupid
you never know whats going to happen next for all you know you could just lose evry thing, all that hard work down the potty
so dont get angry with me stress head

yours sincearly "fan of your work" (keep it up though)'

I'm sorry, I'm unable to translate most of this one so you'll all have to bare with me. I call the jury to notice the terrible insults to my person...'stupid'. Now it seems stormbornchild that you think by finishing the whole mod I will not only bring joy and happiness to the entire world but I will some how garantee the safety of my work. In this line...

'you never know whats going to happen next for all you know you could just lose evry thing, all that hard work down the potty
so dont get angry with me stress head'

(very grown-up approach to this clinical, thought-out debate) - Gloomy;)

I can understand this to an extent but then again...by me working on my portfolio and the mod at regular intervals doesn't that ensure the mod is continuously getting better and backed-up in the process. By working on my porfolio and the mod at the same time, I can produce new art material for the portfolio, then make the 3D models, plus textures, WOW. Its genious really, or just another take on common sense? Oh, as for the subject of loosing all my work...while I work on the portfolio I can back-up the work and keep it nice and personal. If the release version goes 'potty', then I suppose I can say tough luck peeps, although many of the peeps here don't deserve that kind of rudeness. Oh, by the way I use a 'PC', so the possibility of losing my work is ALWAYS there, its part of the evil curse that comes with modding.

Quote 4:
'ok ok
sorry

'i woulnt know a thing about modding or real life
(this is not sarcasm)'

Well since the internet is so fickle and difficult to understant in terms of jokes, sarcasm, etc, I suppose this comment could be left to others opinions. If you actually think you have a arguement/point in this topic then I suppose you don't know a thing about 'life' and the many complexities attached to it. As for your knowledge about modding, I haven't got a clue. If you want to learn though you'll have to be a bit nicer round here to get the help. Even I'll help you because this is just getting silly and its the best way of making you understand what its like to balance the fun life of modding and real life.

Quote 5:
"Consider this, how about I finish everything off in just a few days and make a shite release for people to bitch at, would that be any better? I could make a release and expect no gratitude and then work through the whole lot again from stratch since the release was rushed, sounding any better to you? I could also make a personal release, just for you since your such a grateful fan, sounding better?"

that not what im saying but ohwell
ill umble ill stumble ill fall

its your mod
im just trying to point out a fact and you not getting it

(i dont want you to make an arse job of it i want you to do it the best as possible sadly your not clueing in)

i also promise to zip my mouth shut from here on in (intill something goes completly wrong then laf ye arse off)

p.s. keep up the good work'

As for my comment in this quote, that's an aggressive form of sarcasm learnt from the snowy mountains of Tibet, carefully filtered through the streams of bullshit I hear all day, everyday. I have also givin you a run through why I have decided to do the portfolio and mod at the same time so I won't repeat myself for I feel it is energy wasted. Now, what kind of point is...

'(i dont want you to make an arse job of it i want you to do it the best as possible sadly your not clueing in)'

Oh please, I don't won't to make an 'arse job' of the mod either so I'm doing my best considering the other factors of my life. What clue is there to get? Do I have to send coupons to recieve some sort of clue to whatever I'm doing wrong? People will either like what I'm doing or not, simple. Tell you what, get to my age and get to the speghetti junction that is life, and tell me the most efficient way of living it! If you figure it out you could always put your copyright on it and then I can come alone, make some stupid comments and hopefully recieve such a lone, drawn out rant as this one ;)

I like this line...

'i also promise to zip my mouth shut from here on in'

You notice I didn't add the unnecessary bracket comments because I thought they needed editing.

Quote 6:

'bull shit
theoretical
you wouldnt know what bull shit ive bin threw.
you should know alot of things happen in a few seconds.
im 15 and thats alot of seconds.
and the habitat dosent help the presure of the real world.
you try being depresed yet still trying to find out why you havent steped over the line.'

Ok, it looks like CAptain Pierce may of hit a nerve which I'm sure he did not mean with any sincerity. Haven't you noticed several other mod team members have stood up for me on this one so perhaps its you in the wrong. I also apologies for my harshness, sarcasm and mindless ranting. I'm 24, the Captain I believe is older (not sure ;) ) so therefore if every second counts in life, as you say, then perhaps you can realise that a mod, even a mod you think is great, is not the most important thing and does not require unpleasant comments. Both the Captain and I are older and know doubt have had are fare share of hardships, I know I have. This topic does not need to continue so therefore if there are any comments to the topic title please speak (type) now, otherwise this topic should be closed and all ill-feeling removed and forgotten.

Cheerio chaps, I'm gonna get on with some work!

Mr Gloomy:) - Its the heat damn it!!!
Mr Gloomy

Location: Croydon, Surrey, England...Earth and a universe all to myself

Postby bzb » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:28 pm

Stormbornchild, if you wish to continue to post on these forums you will learn to have a lot of respect for the people that put the effort into the mods and the forums. It is not fair to them to have to put up with you.
If you wish to take your problems further contact me, TBS or SoL via e-mail and we can put you in your place.
bzb

Previous

Return to Dark Star: The Crusades