Priceless

Moderator: Shadow of Light

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:11 pm

We both sound stressed-out and angry?

Quite possibly, but so would anyone who's finding themselves being dragged into a pointless argument by someone who should, it is to be hoped, know better.

Or perhaps you're not entirely the asset to society you earlier claimed to be?

I'm willing to vouch for the latter; why should I feel chastised at accusations of arrogance from one who's patently talented in the art.

But, like you say, maybe we've misjudged you; maybe you're not married, maybe your wife never posted, maybe you screw your puppies to get over your everyday frustrations... who knows? I'm not bothered with the offer of yet another tangent. What would be the point?

So, in quick summary, I thought your pic was arrogant; I've found your further discussion arrogant. And this is coming from me, the supreme-ego, so when it's tripping alarm bells for myself, I know it's taking a turn for the worse.

Which it certainly is - we're now edging the personal. Which is fine, I'm game to do this in private, if you feel the need to square up. In public, however, I'm happy enough to say you're wrong... for now. I don't need to read between the lines, because it's an exercise in the pointless, nor try and second-guess yourself with reference to the aforementioned tangent.

Let's just read the lines - misguided science, and the attempt to apply what is obviously a very personal sense of faith more generally, all kicked-off with a crude joke.

It's barely exemplary, is it?

Observations?

- Your faith is yours, enjoy it; hold it above the firing line and expect potshots.

- Your beliefs and preconceptions are yours; hold them above the firing line and expect potshots.

- Don't try and second-guess your fellow forum members; you'd be surprised at how worthwhile some of us are as members of society, even if we're not all good patriotic American Christians.

- Surely Geoff Boycott is god's gift to women?

- Yes, I am arrogant; that was never open to discussion.

Anyway, I think we've covered the main bases - I'm smug, I'm superior, and if you fuck about in plain sight of me I'll step all over you; and I don't believe you're anywhere near qualifying as the wrong person. You're right, you're also wrong, and obfuscating isn't helping.

I'm finding the best analogy for yourself is a tapedeck, on the evidence of this thread - you press play, and off you go. Occasionally you hit stop to let someone else have a go, then it's straight back to where you left off, talking about what you want to talk about, what you feel is 'true'.

Personally, it's leaving me looking for the fast-forward button, so we can get through this bullshit and return to normality. Such as it is.

>>>>>>>BULLSHIT>>>>>>>>

[ 08. August 2005, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Gust0o ]

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:16 pm

Originally posted by Crook:
It's hard when an animal goes through a bad time at the end, but don't let it put you off having more pets for ever.
After what my mother and I went through no thanks! :(

maxdamage.

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:56 pm

Why is it so important that the value for omega be equal to 1?

What forces came into play that would enable the universe at 10-34 seconds to undergo inflation, increase in size by a factor of 10 43 in 10-33 second? What is a false vacuumed? What is the concept of an eternal multiverse?

So the cosmos is finite? You don't know and you "still" can't come up with anything substantial.

=============================

Bulldogs, as with all breeds, have their own set of good points and bad ones. All dogs came from the wolf so all are impure and have problems. Winston Churchill had a bulldog. The breed is very good natured, funny, dignified, and loving. They're my favorite breed and I care for them well and love them individually. My dogs have no real problems and are healthy and happy. The problems you mention do happen on occasion but you make it sound as though all bulldogs are deformed and sick. If they are then so are every other breed. This is a "very" petty argument.

I really don't care how big your "dick" is. Suffice it to say I know how big of a "dick" you are.

Short posters: "Typically short posters go in this category but not all short posters are followers" Why would you take offense?

[ 08. August 2005, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:10 pm

normally rude, vulgar, and pointless, either striving for recognition or self worth by finding someone to put beneath them while riding on the coat tails of others
Keep it coming :D

I'm having a hard time keeping my cheerios down I'm laughing so much.

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:50 pm

I really don't care how big your "dick" is. Suffice it to say I know how big of a "dick" you are.
I know the feeling Meurig; I'm being led to believe that self-reflection isn't listed amongst Charvell's hobbies.

But where would he find time between marriage, preaching, and feeling smug about himself?

bzb

Post by bzb » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:07 am

I thought i bring this down here.

What should i do?

I have older members that cant take a hint about behaving.
Im reluctant to take action against friends but i dont want a forum that is a witchhunt against those whom dont agree.

Note how the older members jump on the bandwagon of Chravell bashing as soon as they are certain there actions will meet with approval.
Im not saying i aggree with Chravell but that isnt the point, i think he should be free to argue his point however daft without the community at large ganging up on him.

We have few members posting as it is, ganging up on people and making this a small club isnt the way forward.
Do you agree, and more to the point will i be fair to take action against the older members similar to the action i took against ionh if they choose to take the blatent piss?

your thoughts gentlemen, you are trust worthy if you can see this.

Crook

Post by Crook » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:53 am

Well, as part of the story:

I didn't (and still don't) give a fuck what the topic was about. But I've had enough of people spouting pseudo-science rubbish as backup for their own ridiculous ideas (religious or not), on the net or in real life. There's precious little truth in the world as it is. And to be honest, if there's incorrect science ANYwhere on any forum, I feel it's a duty of mine to correct it. I simply pointed out that he was wrong. It's not a matter of opinion.

As to Charvell, if people thought he was right, wouldn't they post in his defense?

I think people should be free to argue their point, however daft. But the dafter / more offensive the point, the more flak they should expect. Isn't that right?

Now, if you feel you need to perform some action, here is a list of possibles, in order of severity:

1) Warning of all concerned

2) Remove rights of all concerned from politics forum

3) Ban all concerned for a length of time

4) Ban all concerned permanently

Which suits best?

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Charvell's 'arguement' went off track a very long time previous. If you read his last few rather lengthy posts theyre full of nothing but glib arrogance. It is possible he actually believes it, but the more recent posts definately hint at his thinking he is playing with the others posting in the topic which, unsurprisingly, puts them on the defensive.

It's not so much the fact that his ideas are backward, his science is wrong, and he expresses himself in a pathetic way, it's rather the ego that's the issue. What's more, as Crook said. Surely if anybody supported his ideas, they would reply? We already know from previous experience that both Phil and Phantom are bible bashing idiots yet they've not contributed in a while.

I also, strongly, echo what crook said.

"I think people should be free to argue their point, however daft. But the dafter / more offensive the point, the more flak they should expect. Isn't that right?"

The_One

Post by The_One » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:58 pm

My primary problem with Charvell was the nature of the picture he posted at the beginning of the topic. I personally found that to be in very bad taste, and also offensive. At no point did he sincerely apologise for it, knowing full well what he had done.

The first post in the thread was about the first time I had encountered him - and as a result, he didn't make a very good first impression. With that judgement, I had rightly made of him, any subsequent posts he made were going to be seriously undermined by that picture and his general attitude resulting from it.

He did himself no favours throughout the course of the 4 page thread - and it's no surprise certain members acted the way they did. Maybe they went over the top towards the end; but he was no better.

And the simple fact is, that he started all of this (in an offensive way), and should have expected the ultimate bashing he got.

Sit back, and read the whole thing again - it makes everything a lot clearer. If you don't die of laughter beforehand, that is ;)

bzb

Post by bzb » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:26 pm

I more talking about the general atmosphere of the place. However wrong Charvell is it is hardly reason to form a lynch mob.
Im not bothered about the subject of the thread.

I dont mind Crook calling Charvell a wanker as such, i would have been a bit annoyed if he had posted 'You're a dick' several times as that is going a bit far. Crook was very involved and had put a lot of time into posts and knows the science subject stuff. Thats fair enough as thats going to happen anyway at the end of the day when you get involved in the topic. Im not interested in banning people.

The way i read it Crook has quite successfully won this debate and i dont think he went to far, although if I or a moderator points out things are going a bit far, in this case with getting personal, which i was right to say, it would be nice if you listened. It is a bit of a shame after all the effort Crook put in for it to come down to calling him a wanker, you could have saved some typing as it was very clear he is a wanker very early on.

What really pissed me off is the communitys need to stick daggers in. Crook had won on the basis of knowledge and being right, it diddnt then require Rich and Rhys to join in picking at the left overs as if to humiliate they guy for simply expressing what he thought. Charvell is a prat but prats provide some excellant arguements, we do need a few prats posting in political, if they all get chased away we're going to be left with a small group whom agree on everything.
You will all agree that we have a vocal majority with similar pov on most things. I dont think thats a reason to chase everyone else away, its enough to be seen to be right surely by what you have posted rather than whether the opposition posts again?

As has been pointed out those that you thought would have posted in Charvells defence diddnt and i see the reason being that they already knew how he would be treated for his views, there is a precident demnostrated on several occasions. It doesnt matter if his views are right or wrong he must be allowed to express them without the fear of the TGU lynch mob. I dont see that they refrained from posting for any other reason. You dont stop believing or defending your faith because Crook has posted something about science.

As you know, this place doesnt have the traffic it used to. I wish i had the time to focus on it but i dont, i know all i have achieved since i took over from Alex is a hole in my pocket and that frustrates me more than it does you i assure you. It just pisses me off when i see the older members deliberatly trying to piss off those that dont agree, not by argument but by snide remarks and personal attack. That isnt the point.

Im asking advice about a general problem, not specific to this topic which simply serves as an example.
I hope it is clear why i feel i had to remove this discussion from the open forum.

Return to “(D'HUB) This Place may or may not exist”