games that are: "diamonds in the rough"

No spam anything else goes!

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, bzb, theblessedsheridan

Dukoth

games that are: "diamonds in the rough"

Post by Dukoth » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:00 pm

just played a new game today called evocron legends, a free sandbox like starfighter game thats pretty good

any way, it got me wondering if any of you know of any know of any good "less than known" games that slipp under the radar because the're not comercial

p.s. I'm also looking at starshatter, any body know if it's any good?
and they said it was just a black void

if I wasn't born a boy I'd have nothing to play with

theblessedsheridan

Post by theblessedsheridan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Doesn't quite fit the non-commerical aspect but Star Control 2 & 3 were ledgendary sandbox style space games that you can probably pick up for free on abandonware sites.

Probably not too well known these days but great games nonetheless.

More fiting with the non-commerical aspect is 'I Wanna Be The Guy': http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

For old school pretty & damn difficult platforming mayhem! Not sure how well known this one is. The quote below is straight off their site and is a fair summary.
I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game is a sardonic loveletter to the halcyon days of early American videogaming, packaged as a nail-rippingly difficult platform adventure. Players fill the role of The Kid, a youthful, vaguely Megaman-esque protagonist on a quest to become The Guy. This inscrutable plot, however, is just a vehicle for a wide variety of inventive, well-designed and frustrating jump-and-shoot challenges that pay homage to many of the games you loved as a child. The ever-fragile Kid explodes in a shower of red pixels at the slightest brush from the game's many obstacles, from traditional spikes and bottomless pits to more unconventional killers, such as plantlife and puzzle pieces.

Using a multiroute layout not unlike a Metroidvania, the game grants a degree of deadly exploration, without those extraneous upgades meant to make life easier. The game provides players with a choice in terms of their deathrate, thanks to a variable difficulty setting that changes the number of save points from frequent to nonexistent. IWBTG is open to all players; knowledge of videogaming history is optional, and may not help against the frequently ironic and always sadistic deathtraps located herein. And so, the question is left up to you...

Do YOU have what it takes to be The Guy?
-- As Written by Forum Member Finale

kojak

Post by kojak » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:00 am

theblessedsheridan wrote:More fiting with the non-commerical aspect is 'I Wanna Be The Guy': http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

For old school pretty & damn difficult platforming mayhem! Not sure how well known this one is. The quote below is straight off their site and is a fair summary.
His FAQ page is quite funny...http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/faq.php

"Emotional Overreactions to the game (General)

Q: You're a bastard.

A: Yes.

Q: APPLES DO NOT FALL UP

A: They're more like giant cherries....

Q: What the fuck is your problem?

A: I love too much. :(

Q: Why is this game so fucking hard?

A: A whim, really. I played a 2chan flash game that was stupid hard and thought "Hm, I can do better". I needed a practice project. It just happened to grow into a big game."

lol, sadly im too busy to put in the man hrs this one deserves. :mad:

Return to “General Discussion”