Relic Interview and Homeworld 3

No spam anything else goes!

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, bzb, theblessedsheridan

Shadow Reaper

Relic Interview and Homeworld 3

Post by Shadow Reaper » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 pm

I've just found this interview with Jonny Ebbert, the lead designer for Relic. Most of it is talking about Dawn of War II, but there's a little bit right at the end about Homeworld 3. It's pretty interesting to see what he has to say, and i'm not sure how well it'll go down with the fans:

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1074

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:46 pm

It wouldn't really be Homeworld without the full 3d movement, but knowing Relic's track record, and what they've done with DoW II, I remain hopeful.

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:43 pm

The 3D movement was to all intents and purposes useless.

*Braces for flame war*

It adds nothing unless individual ships are given armour plating segments, weapon firing arcs (I know this is implemented) and a generally smart AI who can figure out how to use these properly (the player shouldn't be burdened with who faces what way when there are dozens or hundreds of ships).

If they can make it on a 2D plane, like Sins, and then focus on the game play itself (eliminating the complications of a 3D field) then I say go for it.

Also, didn't read article. Reading it now lol.

bzb

Post by bzb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:38 pm

I prefer the 3d of Homeworld over games like Sins, it doesnt seem right to have an RTS in space with only two dimensions. It somewhat interferes with the stratergy of space when you can only go left or right and not over or under.
However i do agree that it could have been done better, it is certainly odd that nothing in Homeworld operated as if it were in a 3d universe, i cant recall ever having come accross an upside down ship, for example. Really it was a simple as it could be in a 3d world.

Overall i wish developers would stop selling simple as being good. Yes a game should not be needlessly complex but simplicity shouldnt mean cutting down on the actual content of the game. I cant say that many games of recent times have even had enough features or content to even risk being complicated.
Cheese is evil.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Sword of the Stars does 2.5D quite well, I think. Movement commands restricted to a plane, but with everything in full 3D. Of course, with the tactical battles lasting a few minutes, the environment and goals are somewhat different than in the Homeworld series. I'm not sure how a similar scheme would work out with a larger battlefield.

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 pm

I checked out Sword of the Stars and... well, it looks a bit shabby.

For what it lacks in graphics it makes up for in gameplay? Is there LAN?

And what do you mean by "tactical battles lasting a few minutes"? Is that longer or shorter, a good or bad thing?

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:34 am

CurseUppl wrote:The 3D movement was to all intents and purposes useless.

*Braces for flame war*

It adds nothing unless individual ships are given armour plating segments, weapon firing arcs (I know this is implemented) and a generally smart AI who can figure out how to use these properly (the player shouldn't be burdened with who faces what way when there are dozens or hundreds of ships).
I'm not going to flame you, everyones entitled to their opinion. Though several times when playing a battle from EvR in Homeworld I used tactics involving 3D movement several times and a few players had difficulty dealing with it. But then i've always been a budding tactician and like to take advantage of things like that.

I enjoyed using it, I feel it made the maps and combat more interesting. But if Relic think they have a better idea then i'd be willing to give it a go and base any arguments I have around that.

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:04 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the 3D movement was useless, although I admit that I probably never learned to use it to its full advantage. :) I recall that the AI never made much use of it, but I know it allowed some interesting strategies in what little MP I played...

I read that exact article earlier tonite, and while it was interesting to hear Relic's side of why they (IMO) at the very least screwed up DoW2--and at the worst "ruined" it (again IMO)--I just cannot support the idea of any HW3 that does not have the full 3D movement in it. These Relic "n00bs" need to recall that without HW (and even HW2, since most of them weren't even there for that) they wouldn't have their jobs, so they need just need to not fuck with success. ;)

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:39 am

Well the worst thing that can happen is that we all hate Homeworld 3. If anything it'd give us something to moan about and I know there are plenty of people that prefer doing that!!! :D

Dukoth

Post by Dukoth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:06 pm

wasn't 3D movement the whole point of HW, it's what set it apart

and how is DOW2 being ruined? what are they doing different?

Return to “General Discussion”